Problem with multiple domains pointing at one BlogEngine

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:44 PM
I've two domains pointing at one BlogEngine. When I make changes using one domain (to log in) the changes aren't visible on the other domain and vice versa. It doesn't help to clear the browser cache. Only thing that works is to touch the web.config. Is this a BlogEngine problem or is this a hosting problem? E.g. if I log in via and change the theme, the change is visible when browsing but not when browsing

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:12 PM
On my local machine, if I setup two different web applications both pointing to the same BlogEngine folder, then I see the behavior you explain.  Changes in the theme under one web application do not show up when accessing the same BlogEngine folder via the other web application.  This is because BE caches data such as posts and settings on the server so it doesn't have to keep looking up data.  With two web applications (even pointing to the same BE folder), there are two different sets of cache.  As you've seen, changing data in one set of cache isn't affecting the other set of cache.

I did get it to work the way you want when I setup a single website using host headers.  The host headers were and  When doing it this way, both and were sharing the same website and sharing a single set of cache on the server.  I immediately saw the change in theme on that I made on  If you can setup your website this way or have your hosting provider set it up this way, you should get the behavior you're looking for.
Jan 3, 2009 at 6:34 AM
Thanks! I've contacted my hosting provider and I hope they can help me out.

Is it possible to disable caching in BlogEngine.NET?
Jan 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM
What about sharing the same application pool across the two web sites?  Haven't tried it myself but it seems logical that the data would be the same...
Jan 3, 2009 at 6:07 PM
@dscoduc - At first, I too thought that if both websites or web applications were in the same app pool, the cache would be shared.  But at least on my local machine (Vista/IIS7), there appears to be two separate sets of cache when having two web applications pointing to the same BE folder and using the same app pool.  This is probably the case in IIS6 too since I'm pretty sure some of the websites I've hosted at shared hosting providers use a single app pool for multiple sites, and of course nobody can access other people's cache.

@mha - I don't know of any way to just turn off the cache.
Jan 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM
I looked around a bit, and it looks like even if multiple web applications share the same app pool, each web application runs in its own AppDomain (application domain).  It would make sense that this is where the cache is being stored.  Read about this here.

Also ran across some related information ...

Multiple domains, same web application on IIS 6

Supporting multiple hosts within one ASP.NET application

For the most part, it looks like having host headers setup within a single website is going to be the most straightforward solution.