Questions about blogengine

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Themes
Feb 26, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Hello, Experts.

I just installed blogengine.net blog software and it is quite a treat.

There are several issues I can't seem to figure.

I will list them and hope to get some feedback on how to resolve.

1, How do I change the look and feel of the blog?

Is there some elaborate ReadMe on how to change it.

I downloaded a theme called boldly and according to the ReadMe, there is a javascript reference to be added at the top of a file called tracking in /admin/settings/custom code/folder but I can't find custom code folder and neither could I find tracking.aspx file.

2, How do I have force users to register before posting a comment to the blog?

So far, all I have seen is login screen but not register screen.

I just downloaded a widget to allows users to use their social media accounts to log in.

I thought this so cool but I have no clue how to integrate with the blog.

3, and finally, there is an administrative screen for Administrators and Editors.

What page should be presented to regular uses to post replies to blogs and comments?

Please take it easy on me. This is my first post.
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2013 at 4:37 PM
  1. It is not a folder, when logged in as admin you should see admin menu in the sidebar. Click "settings" then "custom code" to load admin page where you can insert that reference.
  2. In the admin panel, go to settings -> advanced and check "enable self registration". This will add registration along with login screen. Also make sure you set a role that will be used for registered users in the "initial role" box.
  3. Not sure I understood that one, but each role (like "editors") has permissions that you can modify in the admin -> users -> roles. When you hover over "tools" for any role, it'll show "rights" menu - there you can setup what this role can do.
Feb 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Thanks a lot rtur for your response and assistance.

1, I tried the number solution. I get no errors but the look and feel didn't change. Is there something else I need to do?

Please forgive if these questions are a bit too cheap.

2, Solution number 2, I didn't see the "enable self registration" option. Am I missing any installation package or something?

All I am trying to do is force users using the blog to log in or register. If they click the log in, they can either log in or have the "register" option.

I love the using social media to log in but I am having difficulty configuring. So, I am not worried about that right now. I can revisit that opiton later after everything is working already.

Please ignore the #3 question.

Thanks again for your help.
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Oh, didn't realize you haven't change the theme... In the admin panel there is "appearance" tab with "themes" list. Not sure how you got "boldy" installed, but if it is already in that list simply click "set as current" link right under this theme and it'll become your blog's theme.
As #2, I'm assuming you using latest BE 2.7 which by default should have this option in the admin -> settings -> advanced. If you don't have it - what options do you see on that page?
Feb 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Thanks very, very much for your continued assistance and patience.

I think the issue may be because I am using BE 2.5 as opposed to 2.7.

I will like to download that version now and start all over as I have not gone too far with this.

Because first, I don't see Appearance tab. I do see Appearance but is not a tab and has no themes list.

As for #2, I see nothing related to registration.

I will look for the link to BE 2.7, install it and get back to you.

You have been extremely helpful.

UPDATE: I upgraded to BE 2.7 and now I am able to change themes as needed. I am also able to check Self Registration.

At some point, I can integrate the "Sign In via Social media" bit.

For now, just 2 question.

When a potential user visits the blog and is prompted to create an account, what role is the user assigned by default?

I am hoping that it will be user role so the user won't have the ability to get into Administrative area.

Second question, when installed the a new theme, the Elegantblog theme, the appearance is different from the picture.

Isn't css automatically configured?