The source control provider could not be found.

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Themes
Jan 7, 2009 at 2:37 PM
"The source control provider associated with this solution could not be found.  The projects will be treated as not under source control."

This is the error I receive after trying to open the .sln file from previous version of that I downloaded from the Source Code section.  I am using Visual Studio 2.0.50727 SP1.

All I want to do is edit one of the older themes for my own use.

Can someone please help?
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM
Try placing the source code in the Visual Stuido\Projects directory then open it.
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM
Edited Jan 7, 2009 at 4:40 PM
That is where it was and still is.  Thanks for the advice, though - it is appreciated.

I have no idea what to do.   Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:49 PM
Do I perhaps need Visual Studio 2008 in order to open this Solution file?  I downloaded Change Set 13065, which is the change prior to the removal of most of the themes.
Jan 7, 2009 at 5:10 PM
If you just want to edit a theme, in VS 2005/2008, you should be able to just do File -> Open -> Web site... and point to the BlogEngine.NET folder.  Opening a solution file shouldn't be necessary.

You'll want to make sure you have the compiled BE core files in the BlogEngine.NET\BIN directory.
Jan 7, 2009 at 5:17 PM
Thank you, Ben.

Is the process for compiling the core files detailed on the Wiki?  I don't remember reading it there before.

I will search the forum and the Wiki because I am not sure how to do this, especially since the Solution file does not load up properly (not to mention that I don't know where the "core" files are located).

Sorry for my ignorance on this...
Jan 7, 2009 at 5:26 PM
You can compile the core without needing to open the solution file.  I sort of documented this process in this thread where I list the 4 steps to compile.  I mentioned VS 2008 in that thread, but the same should apply for VS 2005.
Jan 7, 2009 at 5:46 PM
Thanks again - I can't tell you how much I appreciate this.

When I try to open the BlogEngine.Core.csproj project file in the DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic folder I get the same error message that I was receiving before: 
"The source control provider associated with this solution could not be found.  The projects will be treated as not under source control."

It asks me if I want to permanently remove the source control bindings from the projects.  Does it matter if I choose Yes or No?

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:48 PM
Choose Yes.  I haven't seen this warning message, but choosing Yes will probably just remove the source control bindings like it says and allow you to continue.
Jan 7, 2009 at 6:06 PM
Edited Jan 7, 2009 at 6:30 PM
Ok, I 've tried it both ways (selecting "Yes" and "No") and it seems that many of the directories beneath the project file are not opening in Visual Studio.

The directories that are not appearing are:
  • ..svnbridge
  • bin
  • obj
  • Properties
  • Syndication
I'm really at a loss with this.

Perhaps I should go ahead and upgrade to VS 2008.
Jan 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM
I tried opening up changeset 13065 in VS2005 and VS2008.  Both give the same warnings and problems you mentioned.  I'm guessing this older changeset (13065) was managed under a different type of source control than the current version is.

The tool on this webpage is recommended by an MVP as a way to remove the source code bindings.  I'd give this a try.
Jan 7, 2009 at 6:44 PM
I decided to simply download the newest source file and try it.  Mercifully, it loads into Visual Studio just fine.

Since I am not tech savvy enough to really understand the source code bindings or the effects it will have on my existing projects (if any) I think I will simply forgo the theme that I was wanting to edit.  I will either follow the tutorial video along with the information on the wiki and create one from scratch or I will simply edit one of the few that comes with the download.

I am very grateful for your help, though.  I have more knowledge about this situation than I did this morning.
Jan 7, 2009 at 6:50 PM
It's probably good you did that because I gave that tool a try and didn't have much luck with it  :-(
Jan 7, 2009 at 6:55 PM
Sorry for all the trouble.

Do you know what it takes to use one of the themes that can be downloaded from the themes page?  I imagine there is more to it than simply downloading the compressed file and unzipping it to the themes directory...
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Actually, it's very easy to use the themes from the theme pack.  After unzipping the theme pack, you just copy the unzipped theme folders (Fresh, Scruffy, etc) into your blog's themes folder.  You should then be able to select those theme(s) from the dropdown list on the Settings tab in the control panel.
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM
Oh?  Then I should be able to edit them in the same fashion that you outlined earlier within Visual Studio after just dropping them in the themes folder on the hard drive?  Then I just compile the core files like you stated, correct?
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM
Yes, you can open the latest version of BE in VS and compile the core.  After that, you should be able to do File -> Open -> Web site... and point to the BlogEngine.NET folder (which contains the non-core files).  You can edit your theme and any other files in VS.  This has been working well for me!
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:09 PM
Ben, you are a saint!  Thank you very much.
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:18 PM
By the way, if you downloaded changeset 23913 or later, then you may not be able to compile the BE core or you may have some problems with the non-core files if you're using VS 2005.  Changeset 23913 introduced some .NET 3.5 code (lambdas, automatic properties) that VS 2005 won't be able to recognize.  So you may want to do that VS 2008 upgrade after all ...
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:20 PM
Ok, will do.
Jan 13, 2009 at 3:23 PM
Purchased and installed Visual Studio 2008.  When I open the BlogEngine.Core.csproj Visual Studio wants me to convert the project.  When I do this, I find that it converts the project so that it will use the .NET Framework 3.5.  Will this still work if I compile the project and upload it to the website?
Jan 13, 2009 at 4:24 PM
The latest version of BE is now using some .NET 3.5 syntax, but once compiled, it will still run in a .NET 2.0 environment.