Display only part of the post on the Front Page

Topics: Controls
Jan 9, 2009 at 3:18 PM
All -

With a lot of blogs, only part of a post can be displayed, then when clicked, displays the entire post.  I was under the impression that using the Description field when adding an entry would accomplish this, however, that doesn't seem to be the case.  I read up on the Description field in the Wiki which states:

The description field is used in two places; in the meta-description tag and in the related post control beneath each post. It is recommended that you fill out this field, but it isn’t mandatory.

Reading "in the related post control beneath each post" sounds like it is intended to do what I'm looking for, but when I use the description field it still displays the entire post under the title.  Please let me know if anyone has delt with this before and if it is even possible with the software "out-of-the-box".

Thanks in advance!
Jan 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM
All you've missed is the Setting > Basic Settings > Only Show Descriptions of Posts checkbox. Once ticked your home page* will only show the content from the Description Box, with an automatically rendered Read more URL to the full post article. Therefore most of us write the full post, and grab some abstracts to paste into the Description (if using that approach). Note that the Description can include rich media like movies or images.

*provided the Home page is NOT occupied by a Page set as a Home Page.

I've no idea which method (Full Post or only Description) is either more popular or more SEO efficient. We're using the Description element to populate some Drop-downs in an Ajax-grid and a Read More to hop the user to a full post at SmokeScreeners.org.

Hope that helps,
Nick Harrington
team ambay software | blog
Jan 9, 2009 at 4:12 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM
You're the man, Nick!  Thanks for the quick response and easy resolution!  I can't believe I overlooked that but did.

BTW - SmokeScreeners.org is a great looking implementation of dotnetblogengine!
Jan 27, 2009 at 8:12 PM
Nick, you stated it was possible to post rich media in the description, how is this done from the front-end editor? Or is it merely manipulation of the content from the backend? We are locking down content to subscribers (built a user control to handle this) but it would be nice to display more rich content in the description.
Thanks, Bill Mountford
Jan 27, 2009 at 8:41 PM
sorry, I figured it out. Seems that I can paste the actual HTML markup into the description field and it works just fine. Only other solution I was thinking of, to make it more user friendly, would be to allow an html type editor similar to that of the Content field for the description as well. Then mask the behind the scenes html and post that to the description in the db, but for now works fine with a source copy and paste.
Bill
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 9:23 PM
You can also type [more] anywhere in your post and only the content up to [more] will be displayed on the front page.  There will also be a "More ..." link to read the full post.  If you use [more] then you may need to uncheck "Show Only Description of Posts" and not use the Description field at the bottom.