This project is read-only.

BeZ - Tweaked version for BlogEngine to run on Godaddy like hosting

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:54 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Hi all,
  I have made a tweaked version for, I call it BeZ, I'm currently using it for my blog, it's mainly aiming at the ugly URL problem on godaddy(or maybe other) hosting, but I also add some bugfixes and multi-lingual improvements, and added several useful extensions. Maybe there's someone need this package.

  Let me simply introduce it's features:

  • Removes virtual sub-directory name from URLs (when this feature turns on).
  • Catalogy List, Ratings, Profiles etc. support multi-language.
  • Fix CodeFormatter [code] and [/code] tag not hiding bug.
  • Newsletter widget gets working.
  • Completely translated (and re-translated) Simplified Chinese resource.
  • Larger font when editing a post.
  • Displays more function buttons when editing a post and editing the Textbox widget.
  • Adjusts the size of HTML editor of Textbox widget to display within visible area.
  • Light-box extension.
  • BreakPostEx extension, similar to BreakPost but adds any missing closing tags to maintain valid XHTML, customizable [more] label.
  • MPlayer extension, plays *.mp3, *.flv, *.pls, customizable player directory and music file directory.
  • YouTube extension.

I've tested the pacakage on IIS6, IIS7 classic mode and II7 integrated mode, and have uploaded the whole package onto my blog, if you need one to save your time, its details and the download link can be found on this page:


Apr 22, 2009 at 10:34 PM
I have been in need of something like this, and while there are other posts that cover this topic, they aren't complete and leave problems for you to futz with.

I'll try this out and let you know what happens.

As a note to the devs that be, a way to overcome this problem is really, really needed.  I'm sure there are many other users that want to place BE in a sub-directory and not have it as an Application root.

I'm grappling with the Url problems that come with trying to make this work, and my head is about to pop.  I hope this works.


May 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM
Anyway you can release your source code? I need to fix a problem with Conditional Compilation in the Javascript compressor in BlogEngine.Core.dll. I'd like to keep the BEZ core and not have to use the normal BE core.

I'm improving the (on)load time for blog.js by using a version of Dean Edwards' window.onload that triggers javascript when the dom is ready instead of when it is completely loaded. (window.onload fires AFTER all images have been downloaded...which sucks.)
(the problem right now is that the script uses conditional compilation which the compressor removes);
May 5, 2009 at 7:42 PM
Sure, I've uploaded the source code package, you can download it here:
May 7, 2009 at 1:21 PM
hi miller,

Could you please tell us which pages you have amended?
May 7, 2009 at 4:59 PM
Many pages... I've marked every modified place, you can search for "tweak for virtual path" in the whole solution and you'll find every piece of my modification.
May 8, 2009 at 3:24 PM
Edited May 8, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Thanks alot miller! I've updated blog.js to use the faster "DOM ready load" rather than "window.onload" as well as changed the regex for removing C style comments in JavascriptHandler.cs. I've also made a few other small optimizations to blog.js.

If you are using HardMinify on blog.js (the default setting in Web.Config) and want to use my new blog.js you MUST use the new JavascriptHandler.cs as well.

I've uploaded my new blog.js and JavascriptHandler.cs. If you're interested you can download them here: