Quickest way to view color changes to the blog

Topics: Themes
Jan 13, 2009 at 6:36 PM
I am editing the css files for the blog in Visual Studio 2008.  Is there a way to see the color changes reflected quickly without having to upload the new .css file to the website?

If I open the master page in design view, there really isn't enough there for me to get a good feel of how everything will look.
Coordinator
Jan 13, 2009 at 7:33 PM
Do you mean that in VS2008 you are opening up and editing your live website at a remote host?

I don't really use design view in VS2008.  I usually have a copy of BE on my local machine so I can see changes on localhost prior to uploading the files to the live website.  I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but just thought I'd share since it's worked well for me ...
Jan 13, 2009 at 7:45 PM
The files I am editing are all in my Projects folder on the local machine.  However, I do not have IIS or anything else to view the site locally, which probably would be the best alternative I suppose.  Thanks for the tip.
Coordinator
Jan 13, 2009 at 8:05 PM
VS 2008 (and VS 2005) includes it's own built in web server.  In VS's Solution Explorer, you should be able to right-click on a file (like default.aspx) and select 'View in Browser'.  This will open up the page in your browser.  The Url will look something like http://localhost:49218/ ...
Jan 13, 2009 at 8:20 PM
Very cool, thanks again.

However, I believe it may still be beneficial for me to install IIS so that I can view controls and test their functionality as I implement them.  Or does this work with Visual Studio's built-in web server, too?
Coordinator
Jan 13, 2009 at 8:47 PM
I'm pretty sure everything should work within VS's built-in web server.  I usually will use IIS, as there are some very minor differences between IIS and VS's web server, and I try to simulate the "real" thing as much as possible, but I can't think of anything that won't work with the built-in web server.  Controls, widgets, extensions ... they should all work.