File download problem - 404 - File or directory not found.

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
May 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Hi,

Am using default provider as SQL Provider and XML Provider for uploading files.

Files uploading properly but while going for downloading the file the web site throwing 404 error...

"The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

http://www.ssnair.net/FILES%2f2013%2f05%2fGridViewFilterSortPagerExport.rar.axdx

It is pointing to "FILES" folder and failed to download the attachment.
May 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Why nobody helping us... ?

http://www.ssnair.net/FILES%2f2013%2f05%2ftestupload.txt.axdx

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Coordinator
May 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Main reason - no way to reproduce this error. Do you get this error on local install out of the box? Does it show up if you move this install to your host without any modifications? After you change provider? Basically I need to recreate it somehow to find out what is not working in your case.
May 25, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Thank you rtur for your response.

Yes the download logic works on local.

But once I deployed to hosting server, the download not happening.

But this issue is happening in 2.8 version only.

It was working fine in 2.6 version. Recently I upgraded to new version 2.8.

Suthish
Coordinator
May 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM
That doesn't help much with recreating this error. So far I deployed 2.8 to 4 different hosts and none has this problem. If you only have it on your host, I'd likely need FTP access to your site to see what is going on.
May 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I like to give the access. Please give me your email info, will forward you the ftp information.

Thank You!
Coordinator
May 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Simply click my name in any message and use "contact" link to send email.
May 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM
done.. please check..
Coordinator
May 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I changed your web.config from:
add name="FileHandler" verb="*" path="root/file.axd"
back to original:
add name="FileHandler" verb="*" path="file.axd"
Didn't touch anything else and download works fine now. I have no idea where this "root/" came from and it would be pretty tough to fix this "bug" in 2.8 :)
May 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM
That "root/" entry I only updated yesterday to test every scenarios. Before it was not there and download was not working.

Am too confused how that got worked after removing..

Anyway thank yo so much...
May 26, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Can you please close the thread.. I cannot see any Close button... :)