BE 2.8 (web) No "avatar" image in User Profile - No images in FlatBlog theme

Topics: Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Jun 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I've installed a new instance of BE 2.8 (web) locally using IIS on a Windows 8 machine and then installed the FlatBlog theme. I have no images showing up and do not see a way to edit the theme or determine why the images are not showing up.
Jun 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM
The path to all of the images is the following:

root/App_Data/files/

Make sure you have read/write permissions to the App_Data directory and all sub-directories. In addition, check the path to the image files and make sure the path is correct. If the path begins with "IMAGES" and ends in "jpgx", please read my forum entry at discussion:446364.
Jun 11, 2013 at 2:17 AM
Edited Jun 11, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Thank you for responding before asking I ensured NETWORK SERVICE account has full permissions on App_Data. I use IIS Manager to stop and restart the application which is a habit I've been into for a long time.

On the default front page none of the social icons appear and the image for the Avatar is still FUBAR.

When I use My Profile to set the Avatar this path text is in the textbox:
Primary/Admin/C:\Users\DEN\Pictures\People\csg-ponderosa-concert_60x60.jpg

It looks really wrong doesn't it? That's the local path where the file was retrieved from the C: drive and I have no idea what Primary/Admin/ is supposed to be.
Its --not-- the path to root/App_Data/files/Avatars/Primary/admin/csg-ponderosa-concert_60x60.jpg where the .jpg file for the Avatar actually exists.

I just tried the Choose File button and navigated to root/App_Data/files/Avatars/Primary/admin/csg-ponderosa-concert_60x60.jpg and selected the Upload button and that does display the Avatar but that is not what happened when I went out to retrieve an image from a folder on the LAN.

Furthermore that is not what we would want to do when a blog is in production. I just tried going to the LAN again and apparently the Avatar can now be set and reset correctly at will. Perhaps it is only because I went back and forth from root/App_Data/files/Avatars/Primary/admin to set and reset the image which maybe just maybe could be a runtime pathing logic error not being caught? Just saying this was weird.

So the remaining problem is the social icons in the header area which remain FUBAR and do not display. I do not have a clue how to debug those images and I'm also wondering if we can even modify the FlatBlog theme once it is installed because I do not even see a way to set the paths linking the social icons to twitter and so on and so forth.

The Customize > Themes tab only allows me to set FlatBlog as my Current Theme and I see no other way to configure the Theme. What am I missing here?
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2013 at 4:28 AM
To modify theme you would need to edit actual theme templates. For example use FTP client to open /themes/FlatBlog/site.master and edit it, including image path if needed. FlatBlog assumes you have blog at root and image paths starts with "/", so you probably just need to change it to start with "/blog/" or whatever your application path is.
Jun 13, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Thanks for hanging in there rtur that settles the concerns about images.