Post Summaries on Home Page - SEO

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM
On the home page, but default I believe all post titles are given H1 tags and the ENTIRE post is shown.

For SEO purposes, it would be much better to

1) Give the post titles H2 tags since a page is supposed to only have one H1
2) Provide a summary of the post with a link to the full post on another page (ideally, with configurable anchor text vs "read more....".

Is there any way to accomplish this in BE 2.6?
Jun 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Edited Jun 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM
  1. I think you can set post titles to H2 in your theme's PostView.ascs. This is what new standard theme in 2.8 is doing.
  2. For summary, in settings you can check "Only show description of posts" and specify number of characters. Or manually put [more] in any place in the post where you want it to split.
Jun 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Edited Jun 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM
You can alter the heading and more link from within your theme.

For H tags, here's an example for the BE 2.6 standard theme PostView.ascx
<div class="post xfolkentry" id="post<%=Index %>">
  <%if (Index == 0)
        <h1><a href="<%=Post.RelativeOrAbsoluteLink %>" class="taggedlink"><%=Server.HtmlEncode(Post.Title)%></a></h1>
    { %>
        <h2><a href="<%=Post.RelativeOrAbsoluteLink %>" class="taggedlink"><%=Server.HtmlEncode(Post.Title)%></a></h2>
    <% }%>
This is just for example, to show that you can have the first post with H1 and others with H2.

To change the more link, see this discussion.

The option to show a post summary is available from the admin panel via a tick box.

Edit, just noticed this overlapped with RTur's suggestions, roughly similar.
Jun 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Andy_McKay wrote:
Edit, just noticed this overlapped with RTur's suggestions, roughly similar.
That's ok - there is never too much help :)
Jun 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Thank rtur,

So if I want to show a portion of the post instead of the description, I literally type [more] in the post content and it will be stripped-out by the engine? If I choose to go this route, do I also have to select the 'Only show description of posts' but league the character count blank?
Jun 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM
If you want to show part of the post with "more..." link to the rest, you just literally type in the post body [more] - and that's it.
If you want to "automate" it so you don't have to type it in every post, then you do "only show description" thing. No need to do both.
Jun 10, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Very cool. Thanks guys.