This project is read-only.

Update dll ?

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM
If I update from 1.4.5 to one of the newer versions on the source code, Do I just replace the dll, or do I have to change the pages as well?
Jan 21, 2009 at 9:50 PM
You'll also need to update the other pages too.
Jan 22, 2009 at 3:10 PM
Edited Jan 22, 2009 at 3:10 PM
Is there a Tutorial or Video Webcast on how to merge old and new files and not loose your current content and Extensions?  Also, When using the XML provider I keep getting a File in Use Exception, so I am trying to change to DB, but keep getting an exception when trying to add new posts.  Is upgrading to a newer DL going help either of these two errors?
Jan 22, 2009 at 6:19 PM
There's this blog post on some upgrade tips for upgrading to 1.4.5, but the information is just as relevant for upgrading to one of the newer builds available.

I use Beyond Compare myself to compare the difference in files when upgrading so I can see what has changed in each file.  This is just one tool that does this.

Once you make a backup of your current files, I think the best approach is to overwrite your files with the new files.  If you do this, you won't lose any of your posts or images/files you've uploaded.  If you have extensions or themes not included with the standard BE download, then you also won't lose any of that since you won't be overwriting those files with the latest BE file.

Also, in case you weren't aware, when downloading the latest version on the Source Code tab above, you do need to compile the BlogEngine Core files yourself using Visual Studio.

Maybe the "File in Use" exception you're getting is this one?  If so, that has been fixed.
Jan 23, 2009 at 12:06 AM
Thanks BenAmanda!
I was finally able to get the blog to work with DBproviders with SqlMembership and SqlRole Providers.  I used the newest project and built it with web developer 2008, not C#.  I also used WebDev 2008 to upgrade to the new build by opening the new web site "" as a web site in vwd, and then used the copy web site tool within vwd to upgrade all files.  Then I had to upgrade the seopack to the latest 0.3.2 version, and then restart the web site and set the properties on the Blog Extensions Link by disabling it, setting the values, and enabling it again. 
Once up and running I had to redo my BlogRoll and import my blog posts, but now all is well!  Thanks for the help!