Page view counter?

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:48 AM
Hello there

I've done a search around but couldn't find a page counter - so that we know what pages a read most, or most recently viewed pages.

Is there a addin for this?

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:16 AM
Edited Jan 22, 2009 at 9:37 AM
There's probably hundreds you could choose from, most free, some adding an advert into the counter.

If you want a really simply one try (Used by this customer) They provide a snippet of code to drop into your site.master page, while their site provides a graph of page views. A more configurable option is which allows you to configure the counter style such as an odometer. There is a downside with an advert and related URL, but I've formatted this to be less obtrusive. (Used by this customer)

If you want some serious site metrics you should be using Google Analytics. Don't forget to add your BE.NET www.yoursite/sitemap.axd to Google WebMaster Tools and your Robots.txt. Incidentally Google WebMaster Tools do allow you to post multiple sitemaps, e.g. from different blogs/apps.

Hope that helps.

Nick Harrington
team Ambay Software | blog | 50+ BlogEngine.NET Themes
Jan 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM
I too use, it gives you some good metrics.  When you add a new profile in Google Analytics, it will give you a code snippet.  You can have Google Analytics track multiple domains under a single account. To get Google to track you need to:

Copy and paste the code segment into your BE.N admin/Pages/Settings.aspx -> Tracking script. You can find more details here

<script type="text/javascript">
var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
<script type="text/javascript">
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-xxxxxx-x");

You'll need to update the "xxxx-x" in the sample above with your own Google Analytics account number.

Thank You for listening.  Brian (

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM
Edited Jan 25, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I've written an extension to add analytics tracking for both page views and link clicks, I've uploaded it to the source code patches on the BlogEngine.Net extensions codeplex site and the details can be found on my site

Jan 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM
Edited Jan 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM
Thank you guys... I already use Analytics for the site in General but I wanted to have something simple that would tell me at a glance "This page has been viewer [nnnn] times" when I see the post, and be able to just "Show top 10|50|100 posts" for example...Google Analytics is great but it's usually available a few hours later...
Jan 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM
Nick, yes all my sites and sitemaps are on Google Webmasters, as well as in the equivalents with Yahoo! and Windows Live...

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM
Finally I have gotten around to adding post and page view features to BlogEngine. I have also added new widget to display most viewed posts. You can get details and patches from the following location.

Most Viewed Posts Widget

You can see the widget working on that blog on right side as well under title "Most Popular". I will add widget for most viewed pages as well in a day or two.