StopForumSpam and AkismetFilter Not Working in 2.8.0.0?

Topics: Controls
Jul 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Recently I've been noticing a ton of new SPAM comments. I reset to the StopForumSpam stats in the SPAM Protection page and it appears that nothing is being checked now, not even the AkismetFilter. I never received any SPAM comments up until I updated to 2.8.0.0.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM
I just went to comments/spam and deleted over 400 on my 2.8 blog. So I guess filters are working fine under 2.8, but I do see huge spike in the spam lately.
Jul 8, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I don't think the filters are working on my install. I just had two spam comments and neither AkismetFilter or StopForumSpam checked them first. They show up as Pending in the Approved Comments panel, but shouldn't they have been scanned by Akismet and SFS first?
Jul 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I have reset the StopForumSpam and AkismetFilter stats and both are showing that 0 comments have been checked, and I reset the stats 3 weeks ago and have been bombarded with SPAM comments. Something's not working right.
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM
If nothing helps, you can try to delete /app_data/datastore/extensions/metaextension.xml (back it up just in case).
For database provider, this is a record from table be_datastoresettings where extension id is "metaextension".
This should reset all custom filters.
Jul 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Eureka! That fixed it rtur! Akismet Filter is now working like it used to! Thanks!!!
Dec 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Hi RTUR: I believe I'm experiencing the same problem with BE 2.5 / SQL 2012. Are you saying to delete the entire "MetaExtension" row or to clear the "settings" field in that row?
Coordinator
Dec 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Should be safe to delete row, it will re-generate with default values.