Installing gallery theme auto-deletes my mobile theme...? Why?

Topics: Themes
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Edited Jul 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM
WHen I click "Install" from the gallery, it fails, and this is dumped in my log:
BlogEngine.Core.Packaging.Installer.InstallPackage(Yoko): Could not find a part of the path 'C:\blog\App_Data\packages\Yoko.\content\'.
Date: 7/11/2013 3:54:06 PM
BlogEngine.Core.Packaging.Installer.UninstallPackage(Yoko): Access to the path 'C:\blog\themes\JQ-Mobile\controls\PostList.ascx.cs' is denied.

And then I noticed my JQ-Mobile directory was wiped! I had to spend a bunch of time reinstalling JQ Mobile. I'm scared to click the "install" button now. Any ideas how to fix this?
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Looks like a problem with write access on "themes" directory - to install/unistall themes, "app_data" and "themes" directories need write access for app user. Also if you name your own local theme with same name that exists in the gallery, it might cause issues.
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM
i tried to install the Yoko theme, but I can't figure out why, when I do so, it wants to uninstall (and does delete) numerous files in my JQ-Mobile theme, which is set for my mobile site. I do have the correct permissions. Incidentally, I just installed another theme successfully, so it only does this to the Yoko theme. And i tested it again, and it did it again (try to install Yoko theme, and deletes my set mobile theme)
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM
May be they share same file(s)? Check log in the app_data/packagefiles.xml for both themes. It lists every file that installed/uninstalled by installer.
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I opened packagefiles.xml and it shows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes" ?>
  • <InstalledPackageFiles>
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="1" filepath="App_Code\JQ-Mobile" isdirectory="True" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="2" filepath="App_Code\JQ-Mobile\ThemeHelper.cs" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="3" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile" isdirectory="True" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="4" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\controls" isdirectory="True" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="5" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\controls\CommentView.ascx" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="6" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\controls\CommentView.ascx.cs" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="7" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\controls\Header.ascx" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="8" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\controls\Header.ascx.cs" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="9" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\controls\MainHeader.ascx" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="10" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\controls\MainHeader.ascx.cs" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="11" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\controls\Pager.ascx" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="12" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\controls\Pager.ascx.cs" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="13" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\controls\PostList.ascx" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="14" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\controls\PostList.ascx.cs" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="15" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\Archive.aspx" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="16" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\Archive.aspx.cs" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="17" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\CommentView.ascx" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="18" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\Contact.aspx" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="19" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\Contact.aspx.cs" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="20" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\logo.png" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="21" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\newsletter.html" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="22" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\Post.aspx" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="23" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\Post.aspx.cs" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="24" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\PostView.ascx" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="25" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\PostView.ascx.cs" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="26" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\Readme.txt" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="27" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\Search.aspx" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="28" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\Search.aspx.cs" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="29" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\site.master" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="30" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\site.master.cs" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="31" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\style.css" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="32" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\theme.png" isdirectory="False" />
    <item id="JQ-Mobile" fileorder="33" filepath="themes\JQ-Mobile\theme.xml" isdirectory="False" />
But my goal is to install Yoko.
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM
never mind, I just did a manual install, can't figure out why it was deleting my JQ-Mobile, but the manual process seemed to work :) Thanks for helping me today.
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM
I would guess "Yoko" uses same "App_Code\JQ-Mobile\ThemeHelper.cs" file.
For some reason it fails to install, so it cleans up removing this file as it's own, not aware it used by "mobile".

You sure other themes installed fine? I don't see any entries from other themes been installed from gallery in that packages file. If "themes" folder not writable for application, this surely explains all the mystery.
Jul 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Edited Jul 11, 2013 at 11:34 PM
actually I just tried installing widgets. No matter what I do to try and install a gallery widget, the system tries to delete JQ-Mobile (using the Network Service account). I finally took write permissions off for JQ Mobile only on Network Service. Themes is definitely writable because it deletes 90% of all the files inside my JQ-Mobile directory, only when I finally removed permissions for Network Service on the JQ-Mobile folder did it stop deleting files in there, but of course it dumps the errors. Its still trying to delete my JQ-Mobile directory, but now its not succeeding.

Here is what I got in my log for attempting to install the Facebook Likes widget.

Purged at 7/11/2013 6:27:21 PM
Date: 7/11/2013 6:27:39 PM
BlogEngine.Core.Packaging.Installer.UninstallPackage(FBpageLikeBox): Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\theravive\blog\themes\JQ-Mobile\theme.xml' is denied.
Date: 7/11/2013 6:27:39 PM
BlogEngine.Core.Packaging.Installer.InstallPackage(FBpageLikeBox): Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_be_Packages'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.be_Packages'. The duplicate key value is (FBpageLikeBox).
The statement has been terminated.
Date: 7/11/2013 6:27:42 PM
BlogEngine.Core.Packaging.Installer.UninstallPackage(FBpageLikeBox): Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\theravive\blog\themes\JQ-Mobile\theme.xml' is denied.
Date: 7/11/2013 6:27:50 PM
Admin.AjaxHelper.SavePost(): String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.
Date: 7/11/2013 6:27:51 PM
Admin.AjaxHelper.SavePost(): String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.
Jul 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
I dont know why my Blogengine blog wants to destroy my JQ-Mobile, which I love.
Jul 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM
well i finally gave networkservice full access to: widgets, app_code, and themes. it whacked JQ mobile completely, the entire folder. and after that it seemed like it was "satisfied". I then reinstalled everything and its all working thus far :D
Jul 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I have this same issue - but it's not limited to any particular theme... it's whenever I install ANY theme it wipes out the other themes installed (more than one). I posted about it just Tuesday here, but haven't had any replies yet. :/

So, you found that manually copying the theme files up to the site was the work-around? I'll give it a try, as of right now, my mobile theme is dead because I keep trying to install different themes for the normal version. :(
Jul 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Johnny, manually installing it didn't work well. It did work to give me my manual install, but as soon as I tried to install something new (i.e. a new widget), it would once again wipe out my JQ-Mobile folder (or try). What finally worked is giving the Network Service account full control to themes, app_code, and widgets and then allowing BlogEngine to fully delete the JQ-Mobile folder like it wanted to. Once this happened, I then went into my INstalled Themes tab and deleted JQ-Mobile from the UI. Now JQ Mobile is utterly deleted everywhere. Perfect. From there, I was able to re-install JQ Mobile from the gallery and now I can install anything I want with no more issues.
Oct 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I am currently having the same issue.

I converted to WAP
I have Yoko theme installed and as my active theme. I have also modified it a bit... nothing heavy... just formatting really,
I have deleted the JQ Mobile theme, so it now attacks the Yoko theme.

As soon as I try to install ANY widget or extension, it fails, and deleted 80% of my theme files for Yoko. I have been successful in installing additional themes.

Has anyone made any progress on this. We especially are looking to install social media extensions to cleanly publish blog entries. I just started with Blog engine last week, it is an awesome product, but this issue is really a pain.

Thanks for any info