Runtime Error After BlogEngine Update

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jan 26, 2009 at 2:10 PM
Edited Jan 26, 2009 at 2:50 PM
I am experiencing the following error after trying to update BlogEngine.net:

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Is there something simple I did wrong or should I just delete all files from site and upload the backup?

Here is the website.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:

Ok, I solved the compilation error that was occurring.  Sorry once again for the useless post.  I am getting frustrated too quickly.

Is the latest build 1.4.5.13?
Jan 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM
I've just moved BlogEngine.NET from a virtual server to a production server, and am getting the same error.  What was the problem and how did you fix it?
Jan 27, 2009 at 11:34 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2009 at 11:34 PM
Actually that code does not represent the actual error itself.  In order to see the error remotely you will need to make a change in your Web.Config file.

Look for the <customErrors> tag in the Web.Config file.  What I did was to delete all of the code that was in the customErrors tag and replace it with this:
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
Once you do this and refresh the website, you should see the actual error message affecting your site.  In my case there was a missing string in the labels.resx file that I had to reenter.  However, I highly doubt you will have the same error.
Jan 28, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Thanks, Magian.

As it turned out, despite assurances from my IT infrastructure guys, my BlogEngine.NET site was pointing to .NET 1.1.  As soon as I changed that, it works (naturally).

Thanks for your quick response.

John Petrie | Information Manager | Knowledge Sharing
Deacons
RACV Tower
| 485 Bourke Street | Melbourne VIC 3000
p +61 (0)3 8686 6277 m +61 (0)417 078 731 f +61 (0)3 8686 6505
e john.petrie@deacons.com.au | www.deacons.com.au

This email is confidential. It may be subject to legal professional privilege. Click here for Deacons' email rules, disclaimers and advice on what to do if this email has been sent to you by mistake.

From: Magian [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 28 January 2009 11:34 AM
To: John Petrie
Subject: Re: Runtime Error After BlogEngine Update [blogengine:45263]

From: Magian

Actually that code does not represent the actual error itself. In order to see the error remotely you will need to make a change in your Web.Config file.

Look for the <customErrors> tag in the Web.Config file. What I did was to delete all of the code that was in the customErrors tag and replace it with this:


<customErrors mode="Off"/>

Once you do this and refresh the website, you should see the actual error message affecting your site. In my case there was a missing string in the labels.resx file that I had to reenter. However, I highly doubt you will have the same error.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com