Archiving of posts available?

Topics: Controls
Feb 4, 2009 at 12:10 PM
Using BlogEngine terribly familiar with this package, sorry, but we have been asked if there is a way to archive the comments. I think the users are seeing that the front page is getting very long, and would like to cut that back, while allowing the older comments etc to still be available, hopefully in some kind of organized format. Now I realize we can cut back on how many are shown but can the comments be organized in any other way, folders, pages, whatever, other than just as "older comments"?

The other question was about the attachments, if they can be moved/organized too. Is this possible?

I looked on the webserver where we have this installed, but I'm not seeing anything that looks likely as a place to find the comments or the attachments--where is all of that stored, and in what format? I'm assuming the attachments must not be in native format?

charlottesville, va
Feb 4, 2009 at 12:45 PM
Replying to my own :) but still need assistance. It was pointed out to me offline from here that the "Month List" widget would work nicely as an archive. I agree, but I don't see a way to rename it to Archive, which was also suggested--no "edit" link there as there are with others. It was also suggested that we should move the stuff on the right side to the left to be more standard, which I totally agree with, but again, don't see a way to do that. I'm the admin, but as noted, am not very familiar with it.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:25 PM
Displaying stuff on right, left or top is dictated by theme you are using. You can implement your own theme and add it to Themes folder and display what suits your needs. Try playing with themes that are already there. I don't know if you can call "Month List" an archive because it shows posts from current month as well. You can implement editing of that widget to what you want. Or you can change widget.ascx.cs for that widget and return hard coded title all the time.
Feb 4, 2009 at 10:21 PM
Yes, I did notice the themes controlled that later on and we will look at some of them. Not sure how to create a new one, but hopefully there will be instructions.

The Month List may not be a "real" archive, but it will serve the purpose my folks want. Implement editing on it? Did not see an edit button... Hmm, I'll look for the ascx.cs file for it and see what gives.

Thanks bitnbyes!