BlogEngine Upgrade Problems

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Feb 15, 2009 at 2:34 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM
Hi all,

I trying to upgrade my bogengine to the latest version but run into problems. After updating the necessary files as described in the upgrade guide and running the blog page, the following errors appear;

Server Error in '/BlogEffidicom' Application.

Compilation Error

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name 'DataStore' does not exist in the namespace 'BlogEngine.Core' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Source Error:

Line 8:  using System.Web.Hosting;
Line 9:  using BlogEngine.Core;
Line 10: using BlogEngine.Core.DataStore;Line 11: using System.IO;
Line 12: 

Source File: e:\web\effidicomco\htdocs\BlogEffidicom\App_Code\Controls\WidgetZone.cs    Line: 10 

I am using xml as the datasource files.
 I would be very grateful for suggestions and recommendations to solve this problem.

Thank you.
Odeneho
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM
From what version to what version are you upgrading?  Did you replace the BlogEngine.Core.dll file in the BIN directory with the newer version?
Feb 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM
I upgraded from 1.3.1 to 1.4.5 and replaced all the files and folders except the App_data folder.
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM
The BlogEngine.Core.dll file for version 1.4.5 does include a 'BlogEngine.Core.DataStore' namespace.

I have a copy of BE 1.3.0 which doesn't have a BlogEngine.Core.DataStore namespace.  This leads me to believe you may not be using the 1.4.5 DLL.

I would double check the version of BlogEngine.Core.dll in your BIN directory by right-clicking on the DLL, select 'Properties'.  Here's what I have ...

Filename: BlogEngine.Core.dll
Date: July 31, 2008 9:09 PM
Size: 286,720 bytes
File version: 1.4.5.0
Feb 16, 2009 at 1:19 AM

BenAmada,
Yes, you are right the upgrade didn't update the BlogEngine.Core.dll file to the current version. I have run the upgrade again and is updated all the files to the current version. The blog is working up to the home page and other pages i have created. However, when I try the login or click on the contact contact link the following error;

Server Error in '/BlogEffidicom' Application.

The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' is ambiguous: it could come from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' or from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll'. Please specify the assembly explicitly in the type name.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' is ambiguous: it could come from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' or from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll'. Please specify the assembly explicitly in the type name.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' is ambiguous: it could come from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' or from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll'. Please specify the assembly explicitly in the type name.]
   System.Web.Compilation.CompilationUtil.GetTypeFromAssemblies(AssemblyCollection assembliesCollection, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase) +361
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase) +291
   System.Web.UI.Page.get_ScriptManagerType() +44
   System.Web.UI.Page.get_IsPartialRenderingSupported() +61
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.RegisterValidatorCommonScript() +22
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +53
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +80
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +171
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +842

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

Any suggestions on this?
Thanks very much for your help.
Odeneho

<!-- [HttpException]: The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' is ambiguous: it could come from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' or from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll'. Please specify the assembly explicitly in the type name. at System.Web.Compilation.CompilationUtil.GetTypeFromAssemblies(AssemblyCollection assembliesCollection, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase) at System.Web.UI.Page.get_ScriptManagerType() at System.Web.UI.Page.get_IsPartialRenderingSupported() at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.RegisterValidatorCommonScript() at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) [HttpUnhandledException]: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) at ASP.login_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\WINDOWS\microsoft.net\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\blogeffidicom\e8e8be5f\cbee8da6\App_Web_u60_jsrj.4.cs:line 0 at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) --><!-- This error page might contain sensitive information because ASP.NET is configured to show verbose error messages using <customErrors mode="Off"/>. Consider using <customErrors mode="On"/> or <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/> in production environments.-->

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2009 at 3:43 AM
This is a problem with having the wrong reference in your web.config file for System.Web.Extensions.  Should be pretty easy to fix.  Take a look at some of these Google search results.
Feb 16, 2009 at 9:19 PM
BenAmada,

Thanks for your assistance. My blog is working fine now.