Couple of questions regarding widgets and extensions

Topics: Business Logic Layer, Controls
Feb 16, 2009 at 9:28 AM
Edited Feb 16, 2009 at 11:05 AM
I have stumbled upon BlogEngine.NET by chance, and is so far pretty convinced it's the best thing since John Pemberton invented his "tonic"...
And of course, it's danish...

Seriously though, there are a couple of things I need for this to really shine:
1. An event calender
2. A photo album

From browsing the 'net I have seen several examples of both, but how do I include them?

What I really would like is to include a (or several) photo album page, and likewise for the event calendar, however both could be included as a sidebar widget as well.
Any ideas, suggestions, directions?

I am capable of developing a lot in C# myself, I just don't have the time, so more or less finished solutions would be preferable.

Edit: I have found a user control that will generate an album from a folder of images. This looks really good. Now I am thinking that combining this with a custom page for creating folders (albums) and uploading images would serve the needs of my wife neatly. However, how to do that?

Creating a page that allows uploading images and creating folders in a predefines subfolder (/images) is easy enough, however I need to integrate it into BlogEngine so that it is only accessible when logged in. How do I do that? 

As I mention in the start of this post, I don't have a lot of time on my hands (comes from being a father of two and a husband, plus a full-time job ;) ) so, a couple of hints on this would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:27 PM
Just a follow up for this. I figured out how to embed a Google calendar in my blog, so that solves the event calender issue.
I still need a solid photo album extension though.
I have been messing with an file uploader user control which actually seems to be working fine. I'll post the code once I got it cleaned up a bit, and made a bit more ... friendly to the eye.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:32 AM

Hi Thomas. 

I have been trying to figure out how to add a google calendar myself. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share your solution on that. I've tried to add a text box, and add in the html my embed, but it just isn't working. So figured there has to be something else.

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:52 PM
I added the goggle calendar to a page, not a widget. The textbox widget cannot handle the raw html needed for the goggle calendar, but the page can.

I simply copied the html code from goggle and pasted it into the page when viewing it in raw html. I am thinking about writing an extension or a widget to make it more easy.

Mvh
Thomas Due

----- Original Message -----
To: thomas@due-net.dk
Sent: 20 Jun 2009 19:32:25 -0700
Subject: Re: Couple of questions regarding widgets and extensions [blogengine:47216]

Hi Thomas.

I have been trying to figure out how to add a google calendar myself. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share your solution on that. I've tried to add a text box, and add in the html my embed, but it just isn't working. So figured there has to be something else.

Thanks.