Blogengine.net not working with case sensitive collation in mssql

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Feb 16, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2009 at 6:43 PM
Hi there,

I am using blogengine.net for quite some time now using mysql for my data storage.

Last week i moved my hosting to a new provider which supports mssql so i tried to install blogengine.net there with mssql instead of mysql. After the install i ran into a lot of problems and errors.

All the errors were about fields like 'description' not found. I looked in my database and it was called 'Description' I renamed it to description and the next error came. 'username' not found. I went on changing some field names untill i came to some fields that were used with both a capital first character and with a non capital first character so i couldn't get it to work.

My collation on my database is: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS and my host wont let me change that.

Did anyone have the same problems as me or am i the first to see these problems?
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM
If you're collation is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, the "CI" part means case-insensitive.  So your DB's collation should be case insensitive.  Unless you meant "CS" ?
Feb 16, 2009 at 6:42 PM
ow sorry ofcourse i meant CS instead of CI. :)

most important word in my topic and i type the wrong one...

I changed it in the first post now.
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2009 at 7:03 PM
I haven't heard of anyone having this problem ... or at least of anyone having the problem of being stuck with a case sensitive DB.  You could search the Discussions to see if this has come up before.  Sounds like you can work around it by changing the column names to the matching case in the BE code like you did.

I'm surprised your host won't let you change it.  I'd maybe bug them some more just in case they aren't aware of what an insignificant change it is (from their point of view).  At least try to force them to explain what harm it causes to make this change.