Issue with Posting/Editing

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Feb 17, 2009 at 3:50 PM
So the issue that I am running into is that when I try and post a new entry I get a page cannot be found message. The issue, from what I can tell, is that it is trying to find the page inside of a folder named "post" which doesnt exist. There is a page called post.aspx, but I dont fully understand the app (have not taken the time to run through the code) to know whats exactly going on.

HELP! :)
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2009 at 5:30 PM
Is this a new BE installation?  Do you have any existing posts, like the 'Welcome to BlogEngine' post that is there when you first install BE?  What happens if you click on the title of any existing posts ... it would normally navigate to a url similar to /post/Welcome-to-BlogEngineNET.aspx.  Does that work?

Are on on IIS6 or IIS7?  If you're on IIS6 and you're getting 404 errors for all posts, one possible problem could be the the IIS "File Must Exist" setting for the ASP.NET extensions (mainly ASPX and AXD).  A number of urls in BE are 'virtual urls', so you would want the "File Must Exist" setting in IIS6 for the ASPX and AXD extensions to not be selected.
Feb 17, 2009 at 5:42 PM
Yes, brand new installation. I have the welcome page which is still there. I click on the title it gives me an error, page cannot be found message. It IS trying to navigate to the post directory, but that directory doesnt exist. Do i need to create it? I assumed it was suppose to create it on its own.

Its IIS7, using DiscountASP.NET.

Ill check that setting you suggested. Hope the info I gave helps
Feb 17, 2009 at 6:02 PM
Sorry that last comment was kind of bland. Boss came walking by haha.

Anyways, I think it does have to do with the virutal URLs, but the issue is that I cannot find the setting in IIS 7 to change that. Or do I need to? I am still new to IIS7 and IIS in general so any help you have would be great. Also if you have any experience with Discountasp.net's interfaces and tools, that would help too, but if not, no biggie.
Feb 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM
someone smarter than me can respond - but it sounds more like you don't have permissions set properly on the APP_DATA folder.
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2009 at 6:42 PM
Edited Feb 17, 2009 at 6:42 PM
@jkhouw: I don't think it's a permissions issue on the App_Data folder ... just because djinnx also gets this error just trying to view an existing post which shouldn't require any permissions (or at least write permissions).

@djinnx: I too have a BE installation at Discountasp.net ... but I haven't had this problem you have.  If you have the IIS7 remote administration pack and can manage your site at Discountasp.net with the IIS7 Manager, then check out this blog entry.  It shows some screenshots of the dialog windows to change this setting in IIS7.  You would want to do this for the .aspx and .axd extensions.
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2009 at 7:10 PM
Also, if you're on IIS7 at Discountasp.net, are you using a web.config file that has a <system.webServer> section in it?

If you're using BE 1.4.5, the <system.webServer> section probably isn't in there.  The latest build of BE (available on the Source Code tab above) includes the <system.webServer> section in its web.config file.  If you don't already have <system.webServer> in your web.config file, you could download the latest build of BE and use the web.config file from that download.
Feb 17, 2009 at 7:24 PM
That was it! I literally downloaded the newest client this morning. How weird.

So the issue was that I was missing the <system.webServer> section.

Thank you very much!
Feb 18, 2009 at 2:11 AM
Edited Feb 18, 2009 at 2:19 AM
I'm having the same problem using the latest release (new install) of 1.4.5. However the Source Code server tab above is offline. Would someone mind posting the relevant <system.webServer> section to correct this problem?
Running on dev server (local Vista) talking to SQL server for database if that is any help. 

EDITED
---------------------
Doh, never mind. Found it here: