This project is read-only.

New installation into subdirectory with puzzling success/issues

Topics: Business Logic Layer, Controls
Jan 9, 2014 at 2:29 AM
Evening all,

I'm typically a Rails developer, but wanted to give BlogEngine a shot for tying in a blog engine to an existing legacy vb site.

After much doing, I've got a similar set-up to

All of the Angular, /blog/ links seem to be working; however, none of the App_Code/API controllers seem to work at all.

The app is running on 4.5, and I've checked & double checked to ensure that System.web.Service is referenced.

A screenshot of what's going on is here:

I've enabled debugging, and error logging according to this SO post but the only errors I get are the same 500 Internal Server Errors you're seeing there.

I'd love to use BlogEngine, but after a few hours of hacking away at integrating it with this application, I'm beginning to think it might not be the best fit for my application... this is seriously troubling!
Jan 9, 2014 at 2:49 AM
I hope you not trying to run vb and c# in the same app - that would be troubling :) The 500 is what returned to the client, actual error should be logged to /app_data/logger.txt. Is web.api only thing not working? What about "welcome" post - does it show up on the blog?
Jan 9, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Everything seems to be working outside of that, though the 'Admin' widget doesn't show a settings link, I have to go there via entering the url in the browser.

Screenshot of localhost:xxxx/blog here:

App_Data/logger.txt has no entries other than what was already in it when I copy/pasted the folder into my existing application's root directory.

The existing application wasn't built as a 'Web Application'. I can convert it to one - would that be the way to go? I thought that this would work without the parent application being a 'Web Application', though.

Thank you for your help!
Jan 12, 2014 at 4:27 AM
Edited Jan 12, 2014 at 4:28 AM
momer, I was able to setup a blog with BlogEngine.NET 2.9 in subdirectory successfully without changing the codes' virtual path or its folder structure.

In case you haven't solved your issues, you may refer to the steps here. The subfolder specific parts are "Deploy to domain subfolder" and "Convert the subfolder to an IIS application", hope this helps.
Jan 13, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Pong, that guide is a great help - however, I wanted to install BlogEngine in a subfolder without the need for declaring it as another IIS application. I actually succeeded recently, once I had more time to tinker with it.

The API responds to requests, but only on the root domain for some reason. IE: http://localhost/api/ would work, but http://localhost/blog/api would return 500.

As a quick monkey-patch, I went through each of the references to "/api/" and prepended "/../api" which moves the current directory out back to the root path. May not be the best / cleanest solution, but reducing the need for any external changes (ie: adding another app in IIS) is extremely important for this client - at least, if I want to have this project done before the end of the year! :P

Thank you both for your help,