Where are the keywords and the wrench icon?

Topics: Themes
Mar 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM
As I previously posted there is no page-specific text appearing in the browser tabs for my new Training And Support Now website.  Now I have noticed that the keywords in the Head section are not showing up and the BlogEngine.net wrench icon does not appear in the browser tab.

Can someone  help with this?
Mar 1, 2009 at 9:43 PM
I guess you're aware that you're using frames?  If I access your blog directly, the wrench icon, keywords, etc show up.

When you're using frames, your keywords in the "inner" document are maybe still being picked up by search engines (not sure though).  But to get the wrench favicon to show up, you would probably need to add the favicon <link> tag into the <head> section of the "outer" document.

I don't remember your other post about page-specific text not appearing, but I'd guess this is also related to the frames issue.

Are you using frames for any specific reason?  Maybe you're using some domain masking feature from your registrar?  These domain masking features often use frames as a way to achieve masking, but cause problems like this.  Not sure if that's the case here ...
Mar 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM
Why is my response to you showing up before your post?!  Must be another CodePlex problem :-)
Mar 1, 2009 at 10:34 PM
Ben,  I am not even sure how frames were implemented.  When I checked the website as it is on my local machine I was not having any of these problems.  The wrench icon and text appears in the browser tab and when I check the keywords in Firefox they are appearing.  I assume this must be what you mean by checking it directly.

I never used frames when designing anything on the site unless they were used in the theme, but I didn't notice.  I would think that it should appear in the browser as it does on my machine.

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:26 PM
If you go to that URL you posted, in IE, on the "View" menu (Alt-V), if you select "Source" or "View Source", you'll see the FRAME document I'm referring to.  Don't right-click on the document in IE since this will probably show you the "inner" document.  If you're using Firefox, same thing, under the "View" menu, select "Page Source".

You'll see that the URL you posted here is:

And on that page, frames are being used.  It is setup to pull up the real blog page which is at:

You can also see that when you're on that first URL, the page title in the browser title bar is "Under construction".  However, on the second URL (the real blog URL), the page title in the browser title bar is "Training And Support Now | PC to PC Assistance with Phone Support".

On your local machine, you're using localhost, so this isn't a problem.

This setup using frames is being done somewhere.  Perhaps your registrar?  See if you have "domain masking" or "domain forwarding" setup for the trainingandsupportnow.com domain at your registrar.
Mar 2, 2009 at 1:29 AM

I do have domain forwarding setup, but I wasn't aware that this caused the website to use frames.  I am assuming that I will have to disable the domain forwarding completely?

I will ask the registrar, but I don't see any options I can tweak in my account with them.

Anyway, thanks for the help.  I would have never figured this out...
Mar 2, 2009 at 2:11 AM
Probably you will need to disable domain forwarding.  These registrars offer domain forwarding and it looks like "magic", but it's really just a hack using frames.

If you have a static IP address for the website where your blog is at, then you can assign that static IP address to the "A" host record for trainingandsupportnow.com.  Or if you don't have a static IP address, if you can setup host headers for your blog website so it accepts and recognizes requests for trainingandsupportnow.com, that would work too.  If your blog is hosted somewhere, some hosters have an option to setup domain aliases for a website ... which is basically where two or more domains can point to the same website.  Domain aliases are a.k.a. domain pointers and a.k.a. extra domains.