SEO plug-ins

Topics: Controls
Mar 9, 2009 at 5:41 PM
Hello,
I am wondering if there are any plug in's available for blogengine that will optimize a blog for SEO's? I know wordpress has one and I am not really a techie and my blog needs help with this (plus other things). If there is not a plug-in what would be the best way to optimize a page?

I hope this makes sense.
Thank you,
Denise
Mar 9, 2009 at 11:29 PM
Edited Mar 9, 2009 at 11:30 PM
Denise,

To my knowledge there is no widget or plugin available to assist with SEO.

However, the Google crawlers seem to index my sites using BlogEngine.net very well.  To see what the crawler indexes following its most recent trip to your website, simply locate your website in Google's search results (I usually just type in the website url in the search field) and then click the "Cached" link at the bottom of your listing.  You need to make sure that the text from the entire page is being crawled.  If not then there is likely a problem somewhere.

After you log in to your blog as an administrator, I recommend navigating to the HTML Head section under settings and entering new meta tags for the site's description and keywords.  Just do a Google search for description and keywords meta tags for details on how to enter them.

You may also want to disable the automatically supplied description and keywords meta tags from your BlogEngine site.  In order to do this you will need to comment out a couple of lines of code in the default.aspx.cs code behind file.  Within this file you should find the following code:

AddMetaKeywords();
base.AddMetaTag("description", Server.HtmlEncode(BlogSettings.Instance.Description));
base.AddMetaTag("author", Server.HtmlEncode(BlogSettings.Instance.AuthorName));   

You need to comment out the first two lines.

The biggest key to everything, though, is obtaining quality links back to your website.

I hope this helps you a little.
Mar 10, 2009 at 4:03 PM
Magian,
thank you for your help. I will try it.
Denise
Mar 11, 2009 at 10:15 AM
You might want to look at the SEO Extension for BlogEngine as well
Mar 11, 2009 at 6:24 PM
I will check that out also. Thank you, Denise
Apr 2, 2009 at 1:11 AM
I've found that adding the meta data that Google provided to the HTML Head Section (under Settings) works very well.