Issue Moderating Comments

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:01 AM
Edited Mar 16, 2009 at 3:04 AM
Has anyone else noticed that when you delete a comment that you have to hit CTRL+R for it redisplay properly? Here's a more detailed description that I can reproduce consistently:

1. Moderate Comments must be on.
  2. Post two or more comments in a blog post while NOT logged in as Admin or user in Admin group.
  3. Log in to moderate comments.
  4. Delete comment
  5. Now it displays only the previous comments that were listed PRIOR to loggin in. Must hit CTRL+R for it to refresh and redisplay the remaining unnapproved/unmoderated comments.

This happens regardless of browser (IE 7/8, FF, Opera, Chrome). Running BE 1.4.5.13 on IIS 6 server.

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2009 at 6:12 AM
I tried reproducing this with IIS7 (tried both Integrated & Classic app pools) with changesets 24100 and 25892 ... but I didn't see the problem.  When I would delete one of the 'pending approval' comments, I could see the previously approved and the remaining 'pending approval' comments.  I only tested in Firefox.

When I click 'Delete', it prompts me to confirm the deletion.  When I confirm, the page posts back for deletion, then it redirects me to the same page with "#comment" at the end of the URL in the address bar.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but do you end up with #comment in the address bar after deleting a comment (and when #comment isn't in the URL before deleting the comment)?  Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but do you see this problem with other themes?
Mar 16, 2009 at 12:14 PM
Ben,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. Unfortunately, this morning I can't seem to reproduce the issue. It's working as expected now. Weird.

Smokey
Mar 27, 2009 at 4:09 PM
Hi Ben! Different smokey here, I am having the same problem where when a comment is deleted, it does not post the page back - I have to refresh manually to see if the comment deleted. Also, sometimes the delete works, sometimes it doesn't. This happens when logged in as Admin, or as a user who has admin rights.

Any ideas? We're using IE 6.0.

I guess my question would also be, should the page be posting back after delete, b/c it doesn't seem to be doing that.

Thanks in advance!

:-)

Melanie

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM
Melanie (Other Smokey!),

I'm sort of glad I'm not the only one with this problem. LOL Confirms that I'm not losing what's left of my mind! I'm still experiencing it, however, it's more intermintant than regular so it makes it darn near impossible to figure out what's going on.

Are you running your own server by chance? If so, do you have caching in IIS enabled?

Smokey
Mar 27, 2009 at 5:36 PM
Hi Other Smokey (great name, ha ha!). It's definitely intermittent...and we do run our own server in-house, yes.  Not sure about the caching in IIS enabled, will have to check on that. Thanks for the tip.

Were you able to figure out in the code where it's supposed to (or if it's supposed to) refresh the page automagically?

Thanks for any help!

Melanie-Smokey
Mar 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM
Smokey Melanie

It does refresh the page, but I've noticed that when I delete the comment, the XML file containing the post isn't getting updated because that's where the comments are stored, in the post's XML file. (I watched it live on the server and via FTP). Are you using the XML file method or a database?

Smokey Jones
Mar 27, 2009 at 7:00 PM
We're actually using a SQL database back-end for this, not XML...and the post actually deletes but the page just doesn't refresh automagically...

:-)
Apr 24, 2009 at 10:43 AM
Edited Apr 24, 2009 at 11:16 AM
Hello

Is It Possible in Blogengine.NET 1.5 Administrator and blog author have rights to moderate the comments.