Page not being found because of text in Slug

Topics: Themes
Mar 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM
At my website Training And Support Now when clicking the Help link there is a "Oops!  I can't find the page you're looking for" message.  This is being caused as a result of my playing around with the Slug text under the Pages tab.  If I delete the text from the Slug field and click "Save page", it will then work on that machine.  However, if I go to another computer and load the website I have the same problem.

Is there any way I can permanently clear out the stored data for the Slug?
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2009 at 5:08 PM
So you don't want to give the help page a slug?  Why not give it a slug of 'Help'?  If I click on the help button, it tries going to:

http://www.trainingandsupportnow.magiancreative.com/page/Help.aspx

And I get the 404 error.  If you give it a slug of 'Help' then the above link should work.
Mar 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2009 at 5:11 PM
I've already done that.  Still having the same problem when I go to a different computer.

EDIT____________________________________________________________________

That's actually what I meant to say in my first post, but apparently I was in too big of a hurry and typed it incorrectly.

Yes, if I change it to Help, it fixes it on that machine.  However, any other machine that I go to still has the same problem.
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2009 at 5:29 PM
So you're saying that on one machine, the following URL doesn't result in a 404?

http://www.trainingandsupportnow.magiancreative.com/page/Help.aspx

You have just one BE installation, right?  And when accessing that single BE installation from one computer, you don't get a 404 error for the URL above, but on other computers, you do get a 404 error for the same page for the same BE installation?

Are you sure you're not changing the slug for your localhost BE installation, but accessing the production server BE installation from the other computers?
Mar 16, 2009 at 5:35 PM
I was at home last night when I first had the problem.  I am 99% sure that I had Visual Studio closed and was just checking everything on the actual website.  Anyway, I noticed the error and made the change under the Page tab on the website.  At that point everything worked well and I thought the issue was resolved.

However, at my office today I checked it again and I had the same problem.  I logged into the website and checked the value of the Slug field.  Sure enough it had been reset to the problematic value.

I have not changed it here yet because I wanted to test further by cleaning out browser cache, etc.  Anyway, I will go ahead and perform the edit here.

Ok, I have changed it.  Please let me know if you can see my Help page now.
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM
Now the Help page comes up fine ...
Mar 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM
If I get any more scatter-brained I think I had better quit.  Anyway, thanks for checking.
Mar 19, 2009 at 2:41 AM
Today I switched the website from trainingandsupportnow.magiancreative.com to trainingandsupportnow.com.

Before transferring, I backed up the website from the magiancreative domain.  This is also the same site that I uploaded to the trainingandsupportnow domain.  Of course, this is the same version that you checked a few days ago when I initially reported this problem.

After uploading the website to trainingandsupportnow.com, I encountered the very same problem.  I don't think I am completely crazy yet...  this shouldn't happen should it?  Of course, I logged in and fixed the problem again.  However, I am still concerned because this value that I assume is stored in a dictionary type somewhere seems to be reappearing under certain conditions.

I assume the website is working correctly now.  You can check if you like at Training and Support Now.  Any thoughts on what may be happening here?  Aside from me losing my mind, of course...
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2009 at 3:08 AM
So your blog finally has a home on its own domain :)  It did before, but with the domain masking/filtering IIRC.

I'm not sure what the problem is.  If you only need to reset the slug to 'Help' one time after installing a blog, and it sticks, then I suppose you should be okay.  It would only be of a particular concern if you had to reset it daily.

I don't think I was ever clear on what "problematic value" the slug was resetting itself to?  Was the slug value changing to the Title of the page?  Although it looks like the page Title is 'Help'.  Or was the problematic slug some totally unrelated text?

Btw, the Help page is coming up fine for me ...
Mar 19, 2009 at 3:32 AM
Edited Mar 19, 2009 at 3:34 AM
At this point I can't remember what the problematic value is.  I can tell you that it is about three words, so it definitely did not just say "Help".

It seems to me like the page had some type of default page name to begin with and I clicked to Extract slug from title.  I don't recall for sure now and I can't seem to recreate it quickly.

Anyway, if you are interested and I see the error again I will resurrect this thread one final time to post it here.
Mar 19, 2009 at 7:21 PM
Edited Mar 19, 2009 at 7:21 PM
It's doing it again.

I navigated to the website from the machine in my office and got the same error today.  Here is the text causing the error:  "get help and support now".
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2009 at 8:31 PM
I'm getting a 404 error on the Help page now.  So, if you edit the help page in the control panel, in the slug field do you now see "get help and support now"?  Actually, I guess it is, because I can access the Help page with the URL below:

http://www.trainingandsupportnow.com/page/get-help-and-support-now.aspx

If you check the App_Data folder, there's a Pages subfolder and your help page is in there somewhere.  If you open up the XML file, do you see

<slug>Help</slug>
... or ...
<slug>get-help-and-support-now</slug>

??

I'm wondering if when you change the slug to 'Help' and save it, maybe the XML file isn't correctly getting saved -- meaning the old "get-help-and-support-now" value is still in there.  But BE has the new 'Help' slug in memory/cache.  So BE continues using the cached slug, but when the cache disappears (because of a lack of activity on the blog, etc), BE re-reads the XML file and finds the old "get-help-and-support-now" value.

You can try saving the Page in the control panel giving it the correct slug.  Then check the XML file and see if it gets updated in there.  Maybe also try changing another part of the page too (the actual content, for example) to see if that change gets saved to the XML file.  You can also check the timestamp of the XML file to see if it gets updated when you save the help page.
Apr 1, 2009 at 3:14 PM
I think I've found a bug in the saving of page slugs that means they don't get saved correctly.

In the Core project look at Page.cs line 152 and you should have

if

(_Slug != value) MarkChanged("Slug");

I found the problem was that the slug would work Ok until IIS was restarted (i.e. the web config changed) but then it would revert to the URL