No administration menu?

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:32 PM
I followed every instruction for installing BlogEngine.NET. I can successfully open the website and navigate to the login page. If I enter any wrong credentials, I am being told to try again. When I enter admin as username and admin as password, I am being redirected to the main page. However, the link still says login and there is no administration menu either.

Does anyone know what's going wrong here?

Regards,
Chris.
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2009 at 6:03 PM
This is most likely happening because one or both of the two BE cookies are not being passed between the browser and server correctly.

Does it also not work using another browser (Firefox, IE, etc)?

Is this blog a sub-application or in a sub-folder of another application?  If it is a sub-application, you might need to set the path for these cookies in the web.config file.

<forms ... path="/folderName"/>
  AND
<roleManager ... cookiePath="/folderName">
Mar 16, 2009 at 7:40 PM
I tried it with IE and Firefox. Both don't work.

I created a subfolder beneath the default website and converted it to an application. I did pretty much the same as what has been shown in the BlogEngine.Net Installation Screencast (Folders writeable, Full Control for Network Service on App_Data, Classic .NET App Pool, etc..).

I also added the attributes to forms and roleManager as you suggested, but it didn't work.

Do you have any other hints?
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2009 at 8:15 PM
In Firefox, after you login, check and see what cookies you have.  After logging in, right-click somewhere in the page, and select 'View Page Info' from the context menu.  Go to the security tab, and click 'View Cookies'.  Firefox should automatically put your domain name in the top 'Search' box.  You should then see what cookies exist for the domain you're at.  If everything's working right, you should see two cookies -- .AUXBLOGENGINE and .BLOGENGINEROLES.  Do you see those?
Mar 16, 2009 at 8:59 PM
I checked that.

.AUXBLOGENGINE exists. .BLOGENGINEROLES not.
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2009 at 9:11 PM
You're not the first to have this type of problem.  This probably doesn't help much, but this other guy had the same problem.  Not sure exactly what his solution was.

Is your blog at a URL with a subdomain in it, like blog.example.com?  Is your URL a public url or on an intranet?  Is the blog on a server within a corporate environment?  Do you have a public URL you could share or PM me?
Mar 16, 2009 at 10:17 PM
Your link helped.

Indeed, forms authentication was disabled. I enabled it and now it works. ;-)
Thanks for your support!!