a few questions

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Mar 18, 2009 at 12:10 PM
Hi,

First of all I want to say thank you for such a great blog engine, it is amazing how easy was to install and how customisable it is, and I am just getting started to use it.

I have installed it and played a little with it so far and I am very enthusiastic about the results. I do however have a few questions:

1. When posting comments, shouldn't there be a captcha for human validation?
2. About robots.txt: I have set it to: sitemap: http://www.myWebsite.com/Blog/sitemap.axd - is this ok , considering that /Blog is a virtual directory? Should this line inside robots.txt refer to the virtual directory or the physical directory? My physical directory is in
http://www.myWebsite.com/BlogEngine/ actually.
3. How can I remove the link in the header h1 on the main page? I could not find this. I want the title to be plain text, not a link.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Andrei
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM
1. To prevent comment spam, BE includes comment moderation that can be turned on so you can approve/delete comments.  Also, comments can only be saved if the visitor has JavaScript enabled.  If you disable JavaScript, a comment won't be saved.  This provides two benefits.  One benefit is the comment is saved with a background AJAX request to the server which is a slightly smooter experience for the visitor (compared to a regular postback).  The other advantage is most bots don't have a JavaScript enabled or capable environment.  So the JavaScript requirement helps prevent bot spam.

You might also be interested in this pretty cool BE extension called Commentor.  It helps in managing comments and also will run comments through a free spam validation service to automate the moderation/approval process.

2. The URL for your sitemap.axd in the robots.txt file should not be the physical directory, but should be the URL someone could navigate to in their browser to pull up your sitemap.

3. If you're using the Standard theme, in the Standard theme's folder (themes\Standard), there's a site.master file.  All themes have a site.master file, actually.  In the Standard theme's site.master file, there's this line of markup:

<p><a href="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>"><%=BlogSettings.Instance.Name %></a></p>

Eliminating the <a> tag would remove the hyperlink ...

<p><%=BlogSettings.Instance.Name %></p>
Mar 19, 2009 at 1:16 AM
Thank you very much for the detailed and crystal clear response.

All is OK now.
Cheers!