securing posts, no anonymous access

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I have setup the blog on one site and it works great, I really like it.
Now I am trying to setup another blog where none of the posts are able to be viewed by anonymous users. Once they log in, they can leave comments to the blog posts.
Basically I want it to work like this -
I post a blog -
I send out an email to a specific group of people all to use the same user name and password, they come to the blog post, log in, and leave comments, with their name ( I know they will have to manually enter their name each time, due to the log in being for the group).

I am trying to use the BlogEngine.Net post security extension, it seems to make sense, and pretty simple, but I am really stuck and have gave it a good try without success.

My Problem - I cannot figure out how to add a role - by default BlogEngine.Net has Administrators, and Editors Role, but I think I need to add a role such as "user". 

If I could do this I would add a person, set their role to "user", then add a blog entry and set the category to "private" (I have 2 categories, private and public), then go to the post security extension and add a role of "user"/category"public" , it sounds like this is how it should work, but I am stuck on how to add another role. If all I want is people to be able to log in and leave a comment, with no editing, or admin priveleges, what do I set their role as?, when admin and editor are the only options right now.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it, sorry if the way I explain it is too lengthy or confusing.

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:23 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2009 at 10:24 PM
I haven't used the Post Security extension, so can't help there.  But you can add roles in the roles.xml file in the App_Data folder.  Or if you're using the database blog provider, new roles can be added to the be_Roles table.  After editing the roles.xml file or adding the roles to the database table, you may need to restart your blog for the changes to be detected.  Re-uploading your web.config file would accomplish getting the blog to restart.
Mar 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM
Thanks for your help Ben, I really appreciate it. I was modifying the roles.xml, but I never restarted the blog. I was wondering what was wrong, it looked like that was waht I need but wasnt working, now I know. Thanks Again.