Re-loading Blogengine SQL problems

Topics: Controls
Apr 10, 2009 at 7:36 PM
My Blogengine crashed this week for some unknown reason.  The only solution GoDaddy could provide was to un-install the program and re-install it.  The problem is, a re-install creates a 2nd SQL database.  My question, is how do I connect (or point to) the previous backed-up SQL data base with the new install; and/or copy the previous DB into the new SQL DB created by the new download? I'm lost.
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2009 at 7:59 PM
There's a web.config file in the root of your blog.  Inside that file should be a connection string to the database.  The connection string will be in a section named <connectionStrings>.  An example connection string is:

<add name="BlogEngine" connectionString="Data Source=MySQLServer;User ID=user;Password=password;persist security info=False;initial catalog=BlogEngine;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

To get BE to point to a different database, you'll want to change the Data Source, User ID, Password and Initial Catalog.  The Data Source will be the name/url of the server running the DB, User ID/Password are the DB username/login and Initial Catalog is the name of the database.  Those pieces of information should be available from GoDaddy, or through their control panel, or in your old web.config file.