Autoupdater?

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:48 AM
Edited Apr 13, 2009 at 12:52 AM
I am trying to deploy BE 1.5 on my web site, but sources/core changes so frequently that it's impossible to follow it's progress before deploying it to the real machine, so i'm stuck on 1.4.5.7!!!
Is there any posibility to implement an auto-updater?

Thanks from spain at: http://www.gunner.es/blog

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2009 at 1:04 AM
Edited Apr 13, 2009 at 1:05 AM
An autoupdater would be very handy.

But if you've made any custom changes to your blog outside of the theme files, then the autoupdater would probably overwrite your custom changes.

If you haven't made any custom changes to your blog outside of the theme files, upgrading from 1.4.5.7 to 1.5 should be pretty easy.  Except for your web.config file, robots.txt file and the entire App_Data folder, you can overwrite all your files with the 1.5 files.  Just in case, make a backup before doing that.  If you're using a database backend, there's just the one database change to make -- the upgrade script is in the setup folder.

If you have Visual Studio to compile the BE core code, I would suggest going with BE 1.5.0.5 on the Source Code tab since that includes a few minor fixes since 1.5 RC1.  The final 1.5 release will include these minor updates that have happened since RC1 was released.
Apr 13, 2009 at 9:03 AM
Edited Apr 13, 2009 at 9:09 AM
Dear BenAmada, you are the man/woman!!!

Yes, that's the problem. minor custom changes, compiling the engine/core is no problem., But, as web code file sizes are well konwn, you just could overwrite those that hasn't manually changed and create .BAK or .OLD files of the changed files so we could only center our efforts in re-updating them, not the rest.

Another suggestion is an app_data, web.config, and robots.txt files, backup tool. I read somewhere that someone had developed a ZIP based one for BE, but i forgot were to find it!!!

Greetings from spain.

P.d.:  I really enjoy BE. It's a pitty that my C# programming level is so "Pffff...", i would like to help you with this wonderful blog engine!!!