Installing New Theme in Web App BE V2.9.1.6

Topics: Themes
Feb 11, 2014 at 2:44 AM
How do you install a new theme in the web app version of BE? I can put the theme into the themes folder and recompile the app, but that doesn't make the theme show up as one of the installed themes on the Custom|Themes page, so you can't set any of the theme parameters.

Anyone figured out how to do this?
Feb 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Did you try "simpleblog" or "justblog" for 2.9? Both seem to work same as in website, show up in the installed list and let you change settings.
Feb 12, 2014 at 2:24 AM
Edited Feb 12, 2014 at 2:27 AM
Here's what I found:
  • You can install a theme from the gallery, and the directory appears in the themes directory, and everything works like it should.
  • However, the .cs files are in the theme directory along with the rest of the files. Now you have kind of a hybrid website/web app thing going on.
  • You can then copy the theme directory and paste it into the themes folder in your VS project and recompile the project (more on this later).
  • Then, you can delete the newly-installed theme directory from the production site and publish the newly-compiled web app.
  • Now, the theme is installed, and there are no .cs files in the theme directory.
This seems like a lot of work just to have a true web application deployed to your production site. There must be a better way than this.

On a side note, in order to get the SimpleBlog29 theme to compile, I had to add
  protected global::System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlAnchor aLogin;
to the site.master.cs file.

In order to get the JustBlog theme to compile, I had to add
  protected global::System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlAnchor aLogin;
  protected global::System.Web.UI.WebControls.ContentPlaceHolder HeadContent;
to the site.master.cs file.

With the other themes, these global variables are in the site.master.designer.cs file (Standard, Standard-28, and TitaniumX), but there is no site.master.designer.cs file for the SimpleBlog29 or the JustBlog theme.

Also, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the slideshow on the JustBlog theme to work. The images were there in the correct place, the stuff was set up correctly in the admin section of the theme, but the slideshow just displayed the rotating "broken-image" image.
Feb 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM
I should have also mentioned that if you just add the theme folder to your project, compile it and then deploy it, the theme is there in the drop-downs to select the themes in the admin settings, but it does not appear as being installed when you look at the custom themes. So, if you treat this like a web application and compile the new theme in first, there's no way to setup the theme parameters in the admin for the themes because the theme is not there.