Auto-publishing future blogposts

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:41 PM
If I create a new blogpost and set the publish date to a future date, the blogpost is automatically set not to be published. However I would have expected it auto-publish when the current date/time is past the post date. Is that correctly assumed? (cus' I'm not seeing that happen).
If not, is there a way to accomplish this?
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2009 at 11:04 PM
If you give a blog entry a future date/time and mark it as PUBLISHED, then when that date/time has arrived, the blog post will be visible to everyone.  Before the post's date/time has arrived, nobody can see the blog entry.  If you're logged into the blog, however, future dated blog posts will be visible to you.
Apr 14, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Aaaah thanks! I completely overlooked that. I assumed that published meant published, and not pending :-)

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:27 PM
No wait a minute... If I check "publish" and hit save post, the post is not being published. When I go back to edit the post, it is unchecked again, and at the top it says there are 'There are N unpublished post(s)'.
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2009 at 11:32 PM
How are you going back to edit the post?  Are you clicking the 'Edit' link underneath the post to edit it (rather than clicking the browser Back button)?

Maybe you've got two different posts going?  If you click on the 'There are N unpublished post(s)' link, it will display a list of the unpublished posts.  You can click on the unpublished post to bring it up in the editor, then click the 'Publish' box and Save.
Apr 15, 2009 at 12:32 AM
I've tried both ways (except clicking back which would be stupid), and they still show as not published when I go back to edit the page.
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2009 at 1:08 AM
Edited Apr 15, 2009 at 1:10 AM
You might want to check and make sure the published state is correctly getting saved in the data store.  In the App_Data\posts folder, the posts are in there (one XML file for each post).  After saving changes, you can first make sure the date of the XML file changes, and then you can make sure the "ispublished" element within the file says "True".

I'd also try creating a brand new post from scratch and see if it works right with the new post.

Also, what if you change other data within the post and save the post (the Title, body, tags, etc) ... when you go back to Edit the post, do you see the modified data, or the original data?
Aug 17, 2009 at 11:05 PM

This topic seems to have gotten dropped but not resolved. I have this same issue.

1) I create a new post and give it a future date of tomorrow, I check publish and save.

2) I click on edit for the post and the publish checkbox is no longer checked

3) I check it again and save it. When I come back it is still unchecked

4) If I go back in and only check the publish checkbox and save the xml file timestamp is not updated and neither is the flag.

5) If I go back and update the text and the checkbox the xml file is updated but still has IsPublished set to false.

6) No matter what I try the future dating of a post will not work.

version 1.5.0.7

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2009 at 3:17 AM
Edited Aug 18, 2009 at 3:18 AM

This was a problem in BE 1.5.0.7.  It was fixed in a BE 1.5.1.4 (on May 1st).

The latest build can be downloaded from the Source Code tab above.  The builds on the Source Code tab aren't compiled.  Compiling the BE core is required (with Visual Studio).