How to assign a role to new registered users ?

Topics: Controls
Feb 26, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2014 at 6:03 PM
1) When I create a new role something like "site members" and enable self-registration along with "Initial role for self-reg" set to "site members" - The site become accessable to registered users only - which I do not want.

2) When I enable "self-registration" and do not add any new role and initial role value - the registered user do not see anything like blog post etc - WHY ?

How to resolve this issue ?

(I do not want to assign role manually to all users, this will be a very slow manual work for any site admin)

(B.E. 2.9.1)
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2014 at 6:29 PM
You need to create role and assign rights to this role, like "view posts" etc. When you click any role in the roles list in admin you should see what rights it has (checked values).
Feb 26, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2014 at 6:41 PM
But when a new role and set t he value for "Initial role for self-reg" = "new role" with permissions of viewing posts

Just adding new role makes the site accessible to registered users only and homepage requires login - any way to surpass this process as I do not want people to register just to view my site.
Feb 26, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Also, the setting option gets removed from admin side and only available on homepage. and I can't find the "roles" option too even though I am logged in as admin.
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2014 at 10:17 PM
The way it works is:
  1. Every visitor can only use functions assigned to his role
  2. For not logged in, it is "anonymous" role assigned automatically (so I can remove all from anonymous and get private blog)
  3. Initial role is what assigned to self-register users when they create account/blog.
That is all to it, nothing tricky.
Feb 26, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM
rtur,

Question 1) Can I have self-registration feature ENABLE and keep the registered users as "anonymous" ?

Question 2) Can I create a new role and have the site still visible to "anonymous" / all visitor and no login is required. Cuz it seems like the moment I add a new role in blogengine right now, the site automatically becomes private and login is required to access the site which I don't understand why ? How can I still keep the site visible to everyone and not private ?
Feb 27, 2014 at 9:30 PM
rtur,

please advise ?
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2014 at 10:33 PM
  1. You can, but you shouldn't. Using anonymous for registered users is looking for trouble.
  2. Yes. I don't understand why would you have issues creating new role with appropriate rights and setting it up as default for self-registration, unless you do some funky stuff as in #1 messing around with anonymous etc.
Here is related topic, it is not exactly your case but maybe will help you get on track. It is for BE 2.8 so there are some UI differences, but generally workflow very similar.

https://blogengine.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ&referringTitle=Documentation#Onlyloggedinuserstopostcomments