Vistadb upgrade script

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Apr 18, 2009 at 4:09 PM
I am a newbie at this and would like to learn how to run the VistaDBUpgradeTo1.5.0.0From1.4.5.0.vsql3 script.

I have never done this before.

After opening the vistadb what exactly do I need to do to perform the upgrade?

Thank you for you patience and help.
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2009 at 2:19 AM
Edited Apr 19, 2009 at 2:20 AM
I've not yet had a chance to use VistaDB, but that upgrade script is a script you would want to run within VistaDB's script execution area.

Under Start -> Programs -> VistaDB, there should be a tool they provide to do this.  Maybe the tool is called 'Data Builder'?  I was just looking at these two screenshots (#1 & #2).

Once in the tool, you probably point to the VDB3 file where your VistaDB database is to open it.  Then you'll probably see the tables on the left hand side, like that screenshot shows.  You can run a simple SELECT statement to see if you have the right DB open.  Something like, SELECT * FROM be_Posts.

If you can figure all that out, you would just copy-and-paste the script into the SQL Expression pane, and click the 'Execute SQL' button.
Apr 19, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Vista DB Tool :

- File -> Open Database : App_Data -> BlogEngine.vdb3

- File -> Open Query :   Setup -> VistaDB -> VistaDBUpgradeTo1.5.0.0From1.4.5.0.vsql3

Execute Query F5

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Thank you for your help.

I received this error when running the query:

Error 147 (Provider v. 3.4.2.77 Express): Duplicate Column name :  ParentID
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2009 at 7:00 PM
The only column the upgrade script adds is the "ParentCommentID" column.  This would not be the same as the "ParentID" column mentioned in your error message.  Do you see "ParentID" somewhere in the upgrade script you're running?

The new ParentCommentID column gets added to the be_PostComment table.  So once the new column gets successfully added, you should see it in the table on the left hand side treeview (if you expand Tables and the be_PostComment table).  You could also run a SELECT * FROM be_PostComment command to see if the new ParentCommentID column shows up in the Results pane as one of the columns.