Creating Multiple Blogs

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Apr 20, 2009 at 11:51 PM
I have just installed 1.5 and it is working "out of the box" with great finesse! Excellent piece of work guys.

Now, She Who Must Be Obeyed, has decreed that a Blog for her would be nice "at my earliest convenience"...

Needless to say, I would like it to live seperately to my (work related) one.

Is it a matter of creating a second application under IIS 7 (S2008) and setting up a 2nd instance of BE.N?

Given the traps I have fallen in moving from IIS 6 to 7, I am trying to be a bit cautious.
Rob
Apr 21, 2009 at 4:06 PM
By default, BE.Net is single-instance--i.e. one application and datastore per blog. If you're using SQL Server as your datastore, there's a data provider that will allow you to use a single install and/or database with multiple blogs. It uses the requesting URL to determine which blog to serve up for each request. So short answer: separate application and separate instance of BE.Net. Long answer: you can use a single instance is you have SQL Server and the custom data provider.
Apr 22, 2009 at 12:56 AM
much obliged Proffit!
have SQL 2008 on that server - so should be no real issue to set it up... (he said without a clue :) )
Apr 22, 2009 at 10:00 PM
Edited Apr 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM
Sure thing. Let me know if you run into any issues. I've just finished porting my previous blogs from Subtext and things went well. It's running two blogs from a single directory and database instance. I'm particularly proud of the tag scan on import :).