Service Unavailable error

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Hi all,
I`ve just started to use BlogEngine and have encountered a Service Unavailable error after updating some of the basic blog settings (applying new theme, changing blog name, description).
What should I do to make blog available again?
Thank you for your help
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM
I would first ask your web hoster or person in charge of the web server.  I don't think Service Unavailable errors are related to the blog.  But I can't say exactly what the problem is.

It's probably not related, but did you give the ASPNET account write permissions to the App_Data folder?  This is where settings you changed are stored.
Apr 21, 2009 at 11:51 PM
Hi BenAmada,
it appears to be server-side as you already mentioned.
Everything is up and running and I`ll contact my hosting admin to deal with future possible server issues.
Thank you for your quick reply ;)
Apr 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM
Got this message again, but I think I screwed up while making new categories.
I have accidentally made a category and put it in the same category as parent. In rush to make the categories quickly, I pressed "save" before just realizing what I`ve done.
Service unavalaible again.
What should I do to resolve the problem?
Thanks again
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Fixing this so it cannot happen is on my list of things to do :)

You can manually adjust or delete the entries in the categories.xml file in the App_Data folder.  After manually adjusting this file (or any file in the App_Data folder), you'll need to re-start the blog so the changes are detected.  You can re-start the blog by making any change in your web.config file (add a space, etc.) or just re-upload your web.config file to your web hoster.
Apr 22, 2009 at 7:37 PM
Hi BenAmada,

I have tried the procedure but with no luck :(
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2009 at 7:53 PM
What does the contents of your categories.xml file look like now?  Can you copy-and-paste it here?  Also, what error exactly are you seeing now?
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:11 PM
I`ve changed the parent in categories.xml file manually.
Looks like this now:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<categories>
    <category id="c223353c-1aef-4a46-afd1-cb61ab1a792d" description="" parent="">Blog</category>
    <category id="632f97ae-9cb1-4e16-a2c9-53fd5a209d01" description="Novosti vezane uz proximity marketing i njegovu primjenu" parent="632f97ae-9cb1-4e16-a2c9-53fd5a209d01">Blog</category>
</categories>

I`ve tried with blank file with no luck.
I`ve put some spaces at the end of a web config file, uploaded, but still "Service unavailable"
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:15 PM
Thanks for pasting that here.  The problem is with the 2nd category ... it references itself (the parent of the 2nd category points to itself).  This is corrected in the one I've pasted below.  If you replace yours with this one and re-start your blog, that should eliminate this error.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<categories>
    <category id="c223353c-1aef-4a46-afd1-cb61ab1a792d" description="" parent="">Blog</category>
    <category id="632f97ae-9cb1-4e16-a2c9-53fd5a209d01" description="Novosti vezane uz proximity marketing i njegovu primjenu" parent="">Blog</category>
</categories>
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:24 PM
Thank you for your quick help, BenAmada.
I`ve made the needed changes to categories.xml, re-uploaded web config file, but the error still stays the same :(
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:29 PM
If it's the 'Service Unavailable' error, I'm pretty sure this is just another one of those web hosting problems.  I'd ask your web hoster again.  If an error is occurring with BE, you'll get a different error message -- not Service Unavailable.
Apr 22, 2009 at 10:20 PM
Thank you BenAmada.
I`ll contact my hosting provider tomorrow and post the result. Maybe it will be useful if someone else encounters the same error.