how can I manually change the theme

Topics: Themes
Apr 2, 2014 at 7:26 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM
I have installed the JustBlog theme in the themes folder but it doesn't show up as a theme option in the BlogEngine settings. How can I manually change the theme in the BlogEngine solution with VS 2013? the site is using the standard theme.

I installed another theme using nuget package installer and none of the new themes will show up in the them options in the blog engine setting. How discouraging,
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2014 at 11:57 PM
When install themes manually (by copying folder) you have to change name to something not conflicting with theme from gallery and restart IIS for application to pick up changes.
For installing from gallery (if this is what you mean by nuget package), please specify what theme you trying to install and what blogengine version you are using.
Apr 3, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2014 at 3:01 PM
the themes JustBlog ,SimpleBlog29, and RazorHost have all been installed in the themes folder correctly using nuget packages and VS 2013.
I just started using BlogEngine 2.1.1.0. Only the themes that installed with that new installation show up in basic settings.

I'm asking how I can force BlogEngine to use a theme? In a standard asp.net web application you can place the name of the them folder in the web.config file, the @page code of the master page or in the code behind.
I can not find any code in the BlogEngine app telling BlogEngine what theme to use.
I want to hard code the theme in there
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Any folder under /themes should show up in the admin as a theme, no configuration required. 2.1 is pretty old version, newer themes probably won't work with it. Maybe this will give you some hints. In newer versions, themes installed from gallery directly.
Apr 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM
im using version 2.9.1 somehow the them im using displayed the wrong version .

The themes should show up but they dont.
I still need an answer to my question, How can i hard code the them into the BlogEngine application?
Apr 3, 2014 at 4:37 PM
I took out the themes i had installed in the themes folder and tryed to install them from the custom themes gallery and I get an error, Failed!
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM
You can't hardcode themes. Starting over and making sure /app_data and /themes has write permissions (if you using VS should not be an issue) will probably fix that "failed" error. Usually it happens when it can't copy files to themes folder or installation messed up. Also check log in the admin->dashboard, it might have more descriptive message.
Marked as answer by jayirvin on 4/3/2014 at 11:51 AM
Apr 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM
I have the app pool on iis 7 set for network service. i tryed iusrs_user and it quit letting me change the setting. I can login and change setting so its writing to the app_data folder. I just cant get it to write to the themes folder. i have modify permission on the themes folder for both iis_iusrs and network service.

the application is writing something when you change the theme in settings.
I just want to know what file its making the change to.
Apr 3, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM
the error logs read > BlogEngine.Core.Packaging.Installer.InstallPackage(SimpleBlog29): Access to the path 'SimpleBlog29' is denied.
for all the themes i tried to install or uninstall.
I worked with the inherent permission on the themes folder and got the application working.
Thank you for your help.