Cookbook for hosting multiple blogs

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:24 PM
Hi all

I am looking for a blog engine for a website where Members will have the option to create their own blogs. I will control this by creating a Member Blog Page where only Members can see the page. On that page I will have a "Make My Blog" button and in the background I will check to see if the user already has a blog. If the user has a blog, the button will not be visible, but the blog will be visible. If the user does NOT have a blog, the button will create on for them and take them to the Blog setup page.

So my question here is fairly simple. Is there a "cookbook" describing how to setup BE.N to host multiple blogs? Or given the scenario above is this even possible? For example if I have to make separate application for each blog, this could be problematic.
Apr 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM
It isn't possible with the base BE.Net without adding a separate application for each blog. If you're using SQL Server, however, you can use a blog provider I created for pretty much just this purpose and it should do what you need. Both binary and source versions include a readme.html file that'll give you everything you need to setup new blogs and enable the provider.
Apr 22, 2009 at 10:27 PM
I am currently using Subtext, which is not yet integrated with the Microsoft Membership Framework. I notice you reference Subtext a lot in your article. I really like it and would have preferred so stick with it, but the MMF issue is a big deal for me.

In terms of the Blog Provider, I will give it a whirl.

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:55 PM
Sure thing. Let me know if you run into trouble. I've liked Subtext (and was an active-ish dev there), but I don't like the route new development is taking. IMO, they're over-architecting and I'd as soon migrate to something that already has a working extension framework and easier skinning. BE.Net has a lot of promise and minor quibbles aside, there's a lot to like here.

Sidenote: the blog provider leveraged some of my work on Subtext tags--it parses new posts (including imported posts) for technorati-style tags and auto-adds them if they aren't already on the post. I'm particularly proud of that little trick because it let me import my Subtext exported BlogML and not have to re-apply tags <shudder>.