Problems upgrading from old version of BlogEngine

May 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM
I have a BE.Net site that I haven't updated in about four years. I did the install myself, but I'm not really a developer and can't remember all the configuration changes I had done at the time to make it work.

I tried to update to Version 2.9, following the "Upgrading to BlogEngine.NET 2.9" instructions, but it's not working ... I think this was mainly written for a 2.8 to 2.9 update.

Does anyone have a list of things you need to do for an upgrade from an older version ... or if someone is willing to take a few minutes to help me with this, you can reach me at TheLunatic (at)

May 11, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Just took a look, and I'm currently on
May 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Edited May 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM
I missed one detail ... I didn't notice that the hosting needs to be set for .Net version 4.5 - I've changed my GoDaddy account setup, and the site is running ...

However - when I log in to the site, I get an error whenever I try to access any of the admin controls.

When I log in, the "Administration" widget shows up on the right side, as it should ... but when I click on any of the links (Dashboard, Settings, My Profile, etc), I get the following error message:

Ooops! An unexpected error has occurred.
This one's down to me! Please accept my apologies for this - I'll see to it that the developer responsible for this happening is given 20 lashes (but only after he or she has fixed this problem).

(I've also tried using the "updater utility" to automate the update to 2.9 - but I get the same results)

Any suggestions?
May 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Set custom errors to "off" in web.config to get real error to show up instead of generic "oops". Most likely, you need to set your site to full trust to get admin working.
May 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Thanks rtur -

I set custom errors to "Off" as suggested ... and yes, I do get the full error report now.

It appears you are correct ... the error report says:

Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

So the next question is ... how do I set the site to "full trust"? Is this a setting within BlogEngine, or a hosting configuration? I did a quick search through the discussion history and didn't see anything.
May 14, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Edited May 14, 2014 at 8:02 PM
Never mind ... my search query had actually timed out. I tried it again and found a recent discussion that says I need <trust level="Full"/> in web.config

Seems to be working now ... thanks so much for your help!
May 14, 2014 at 8:08 PM
Cool, glad you got it working.
May 14, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Gotta say ... moving from 1.6.1 to 2.9 shows an impressive array of improvements. Lots of good work here!