Theme changed too standard automatically problem

Topics: Themes
Apr 29, 2009 at 7:50 AM
Hi,
I have a problem with my theme.
When I change theme to my owm, everything is ok, but after some hours, the theme is automatically automatically changed to Standard :-(
Can you help me, please, where the problem can be?
Thanks!
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2009 at 8:04 AM
Do you have Write permissions set on the App_Data folder (if you're using the default Xml provider)?

It sounds like the change in theme is not persisting to the data store (App_Data folder or database).  The change in theme is active within the server's memory, but after the blog application becomes inactive (or after a server restart, etc), the data in memory is cleared out and the values from the data store are re-read ... however, the theme in the data store is still the original Standard theme since the change in theme never saved correctly.
Apr 29, 2009 at 8:43 AM
Thanks for reply.

Yes, I have Write permissions set on App_Data. I'm using the default Xml provider.
After changing theme in administration, I have in settings.xml file in node <theme> right name of my new theme.
So it seams data are stored correctly.

Coordinator
Apr 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM
I'm glad you were able to confirm that.  That obviously means data is getting saved correctly.

After the theme reverts back to the Standard theme, if you check the settings.xml file again, does it still show the new theme?  Or does it show the Standard theme?

Also, are you on a web farm, or Mosso server, or any type of load balancing type of server configuration?
Apr 30, 2009 at 5:43 AM
Now, everything looks ok. The set theme remain set correctly nearly 24 hours.
My blog is on classic webhosting under own domain. I think problem was correct by webhoster administrator.

Thank's for your time.
May 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Hello, love the product and the theme I found (http://designdisease.com/portfolio/illacrimo/) customized for BlogEngine.

I am having the exact same issue. Everything looks great after setting it up. After about half an hour everything reverts back to the standard theme. Other information such as my name in the author's post reverts back to "administrator," the first default post which I modified reverts back to the original, mail settings have to be reconfigured, ...etc... Almost starting over again.

I am using the default xml provider as well. I do uncheck the read-only property in the App_Data folder. However, every time I go back I notice that it is still checked! I am hosting on a GoDaddy Virtual Dedicated Windows/IIS server.

Is there something else that has to be done to make unchecking read-only property permanent? Is there any solution in regards to this specific issues with Godaddy or Windows/IIS in general?

Thanks for your time.

Coordinator
May 3, 2009 at 10:09 PM
I wouldn't worry about the read-only box.  I too have unchecked it, but it never completely unchecks.

The important thing is to set "write" permissions on the App_Data folder for the ASPNET account.  Incidentally, after you change a setting like the theme, is the settings.xml file in the App_Data folder updated with your changes?

It sounds like you have direct access to the server.  You would want to right-click on the App_Data directory, Properties, go to the Security tab, and the account to give permissions to will probably be the Network Service account.  Giving that account write/modify or even full permissions will work.
May 3, 2009 at 10:34 PM
Thank you for the super-quick reply.
 
Before I implemented your above solution, the settings.xml was not updating, just holding default information regarding theme, mail settings, blog title, etc.

After implementing those steps, and going back to the settings control panel to re-configure the desired theme/settings, I now see that the xml file stores them correctly.

Thank you!