JS.axd error with clean install on iis6 server

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM
I am having an issue similar to some of the other posts with the JS.axd error, however, its not on a hosted server, but a server we can control.  I installed Blogengine.net cleanly today.

Site runs, however, no postbacks work.  So i can not follow the tips to change compression from the control panel, or change JS includes (i will try the hack about adding the blog.js manually to the masterPage file)

In fiddler and firebug, the error appears, so this is affecting IE7 and Firefox 3 at least..

When viewing the source, the form post goes to: /error404.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/js.axd
  <form name="aspnetForm" method="post" action="/error404.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/js.axd" id="aspnetForm" class="body">

Thus rendering the blog useless.  No user creation, no settings, no posting etc.

Looking into it, and posting for your reference / help.

Thanks,

Geoff
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM
BE's web.config file is setup so any unhandled errors result in a redirect to the error404.aspx file.  Legitimate 404 errors themselves also result in a redirect to error404.aspx.  You probably have the following <customErrors> tag in your web.config file.

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="~/error404.aspx">

If you change that to the following, it could help in revealing the real error that is occurring.

<customErrors mode="Off">

I would also try navigating directly to the JS.axd file in your browser.  The URL will be something like:

http://www.example.com/js.axd?path=/blog.js&amp;v=1.5.1.3

You can get the exact URL in firebug, fiddler, or by doing a view source.  You might get a better idea of what's going on by navigating to the js.axd file directly.

One possible reason for the error is in IIS6 there's a checkbox that says a physical "File Must Exist" for the various extensions (AXD, ASPX, etc).  This is a checkbox that can be found when editing a site/app in IIS, where all the file extensions are defined and what each extension maps to (aspnet_isapi.dll, etc).  When editing the extension, this checkbox is there.  You would want the checkbox unchecked.