V 3.0 gives BlogEngine (Incompatible) error upon opening in Visual Studios 2010?

Jul 5, 2014 at 3:41 PM
I just downloaded BlogEngine.Net 3.0 and followed the instructions - created the application in IIS (7), set the properties to allow me to read/write and went to open the project (I opened it as a website) and it doesn't load in VS 2010. All I have is a grayed out block in the Solution Explorer that shows "BlogEngine(incompatible)" What did I do wrong? Or is BlogEngine 3.0 not compatible with VS 2010? I checked that it is using .Net Version 4.5.50938 SP1Rel - any suggestions? TIA,
Coleen
Coordinator
Jul 5, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Jul 6, 2014 at 2:26 AM
I don't want to make major changes - the only changes I want to make are to the colors/themes. The question I had was if the current BlogEngine 3.0 is compatible with Visual Studios 2010? I use VS to write all my .css and any HTML code to update the actual blog with. I absolutely HATE working with just notepad to write any kid of HTML (call me lazy) but it's nice to have VS put in the proper end tags so I don't forget them!

So IS BlogEngine 3.0 compatible with vs 2010 or not? And if not which is the latest version that i should download that IS compatible with it?

Thanks!

Coleen
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2014 at 2:57 AM
Edited Jul 6, 2014 at 2:58 AM
VS will not open solution built with "future" version, so 2010 won't open 2013 solution. You need this (the one "for web").
Jul 6, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Thanks, but I'm not going to change my version of VS right now (the version I have is a full version of 2010 and works fine for my purposes.) So again, my question is which version of BlogEngine WILL work with VS2010? Several years ago (2010 I think), I used BlogEngine, but I don't remember which version and I'm sure there are updates to that version that WILL work with VS 2010 - so please, which is the best (most recent) version that will work with it? Thanks!
Jul 6, 2014 at 2:47 PM
Edited Jul 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM
I've been scanning through the previous versions of BlogEngine, and I honestly do not know which one to use. I do NOT want to use the "express" version of VS - currently I have a COMPLETE, full version of 2010, with .Net framework 4.5.5:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.5.50938 SP1Rel

The reason I don't want to switch is because I have several other websites that I programmed using VS 2010 and none of them use Blogengine, so If I upgrade just for BlogEngine, I have to upgrade every single website I have created, and I just do NOT have time to do that right now.

So please, which version of BlogEngine will work with my existing software? Thanks in advance for any help.

Coleen
Jul 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Hi Coleenh,

The latest version that was made using Visual Studio 2010 was: BE 2.5.0.26

de25cddc85cc by Ruslan (59 downloads) Jan 3, 2012 11:01 PM

https://blogengine.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/de25cddc85cc#

Visual Web Developer Express 2010

You can look at the BlogEngine.sln file to see what version of VS it was made with.

https://blogengine.codeplex.com/SourceControl/diff/file/view/842a6cc8d607?fileId=BlogEngine%2FBlogEngine.sln&olderChangeSetId=de25cddc85cc

Looking at previous versions 2.5.0.26 was the last version made with VS 2010.

So for sure starting at that version should work with VS 2010.

So I would start off with that one first and then step up till it does not work.

But, in reality through BE 2.5 and BE 3.0 had changed majority and almost completely different from each other.

I don't see why moving to VS 2013 would require upgrading your other websites?

But, you can have both through.

VS 2010 Full and VS 2013 web for BE.

Or if you only doing theme editing you can use Microsoft Web Matrix

http://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/

Much smaller download and way easier to install :)
Jul 6, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Edited Jul 6, 2014 at 3:59 PM
Thank you very much kbdavis07, I really appreciate the answer. The problem with having two versions of VS on my PC is shared files - I tried that before when I upgraded from VS 2008 to 2010 - I got a lot of conflicts when trying to keep both versions, so I had to upgrade everything to VS 2010. Although that isn't really that big of a deal, it IS time consuming and right now I just don't have the time to devote to it. The WebMatrix looks interesting though - will BlogEngine 3.0 work in that for me to do my .CSS and HTML updates to the BlogEngine?
Jul 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Edited Jul 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Coleenh wrote:
The WebMatrix looks interesting though - will BlogEngine 3.0 work in that for me to do my .CSS and HTML updates to the BlogEngine?
Yep, it is made specifically for Editing Webpages, its the some what replacement of Microsoft's FrontPage.

You can even install BE directly from it in the Gallery option in Web Matrix.

Just go to Gallery --> BlogEngine.net --> Install

It does everything else for you.

Web Matrix is made for Graphic Designers and those that just want to "edit" their website.

Visual Studio is for those that want to actually write some code that has to be compiled into a .dll, (class libraries).

With Matrix you can run your website in your broswer, do live editing, and then when done you can publish it to your server.

Using
  1. Web Deploy
  2. Old Fashion FTP
  3. Package Deploy
All from within Matrix.

Don't have to bring up a separate FTP client to upload your website to server.

You can also set-up code repository and source code tracking with GitHub or BitBucket.

Just did this and it is here:

https://github.com/kbdavis07/BE

Matrix will then keep track of the changes and then you can push those to a repository.

Then when done with changes upload to your server.

If something went wrong or have error you can roll back your changes if needed.

If your server crashes and you don't have a local copy, you have your repo to back up from.

Also it has a website report function that can generate a report for you on how to improve it.

This way can help solve or prevent issues :)

Note: To Rtur WebMatrix version of BE is still BE 2.9.1.0

So that might need to be updated soon :)
Marked as answer by Coleenh on 7/7/2014 at 5:00 AM
Jul 7, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Edited Jul 7, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Thank you VERY much! Yes, that will definitely work, I'll download it, then download the BE - that is very helpful! I appreciate it! :-D

I just got done installing WebMatrix and the BlogEngine - very nice thank you! So, since it automatically installed 2.9, can I update it to the 3.0 or will on BE 2.9 work on the WebMatrix at this point? Thanks again for all your help it is appreciated! :-)
Jul 7, 2014 at 10:46 PM
UGH! The very first thing that happened is that WebMatrix tried to run the BE in my Web Browser (I use Firefox) and I got an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." error. I haven't even started to look at the BE o WebMatrix yet and this is not a good start! Any suggestions Or should I start a new thread?
Jul 8, 2014 at 2:36 AM
Edited Jul 8, 2014 at 2:37 AM
Hi Coleenh,

I had downloaded BE 3.0 Source code, compiled it, and then opened it up in Web Matrix and it works.

I had copied the Files you need here:

https://bitbucket.org/kbdavis07/be/downloads/BE-3.0-Web.zip

So all you do is the following:
  1. Download
  2. Unzip
  3. Right click on folder /blogEngine.net Uncheck Read only <--- Bet this was your issue
  4. Open up in Web Matrix
I had done the following steps above and it works.

When I did not unchecked the read only button through, did not open up when trying to run the website just kept loading but never launched.

So I bet that was your original issue.

But for just in case just use this zip folder:

https://bitbucket.org/kbdavis07/be/downloads/BE-3.0-Web.zip

I know 100% that will open up in Web Matrix with no issues at all once you unchecked the Read only button when right clicking.
Jul 8, 2014 at 2:46 AM
kbdavis07 - Thank you! Yes, I'm sure that's what the original problem was, I was following the instructions on the installation and as soon as I granted rights to the App_data folder, it worked. I'm going to have to re-install the WebMatrix though - I didn't change the default location where it was installed and it ended up in "My Documents " instead of Inetpub! Oh well, I'll get it right, with your help. Thank you VERY much! :-)
Jul 8, 2014 at 5:48 AM
Hi Coleenh,

No problem at all, glad to help when ever I can :)