Upgrade to 3.0 question

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:10 PM
I am in the process of upgrading to BE 3.0, I have it on the server and it is running fine, easiest upgrade so far. If I want to include a standalone page created in a previous version that has a .cs file do I copy both the .aspx and the .cs file into 3.0 and then run ctrl F5 again and then upload the dll file? Thank you.
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM
Edited Jul 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM
If you have any logic in code behind, then there 2 options.
  1. You can copy your custom page to VS and compile, then deploy BlogEngine.NET.dll which now will have this code embedded, along with .aspx file.
  2. Make your page code behind-less, moving logic into server script on this same .aspx page.
Jul 7, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Thank you, another question, how would I in BE 3.0 modify the Newsletter to send out changed pages in addition to new posts. I have a page that I add a file to every month for downloading and I need for users to be notified when it is available. Thank you.
Jul 10, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Has anyone successfully upgraded from 2.X to 3.0?

I have followed the steps listed here: http://dnbe.net/docs/post/upgrading-blogengine-net-manually

but am encountering issues with site.master in my Theme, which appear to be corruption issues (missing .designer file, code behind not recognizing page controls).

Migrating from a web site to an application seems like a major upgrade (an understandable one), but I'm not so sure the steps listed above will be sufficient for those of us with lots of code behind.
Jul 10, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Tip for others - deleting the .designer file from site.master, and rebuilding, plus moving the code behind functions from site.master.cs, to site.master, as rtur mentioned (need to change "language" to "lang"), plus migrating any functions that were modified in Blogengine.Core, seems to be letting me browse my blog, so I'm not dead in the water anymore.

I will update this post if I discover any further issues/tips.
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Cool, if you want that document updated, just write here what you discovered and I'll add it to "manual update" documentation post. On a side note, converting few dozens themes for new gallery were pretty painless but they probably didn't have much code behind and none have designer file.