How-to publish at a later date?

May 6, 2009 at 3:39 AM
I see that I can uncheck the publish button when creating a new entry.  But how do I set it so that I can have it automatically publish at a later date?
May 6, 2009 at 9:29 AM
Leave the Publish box checked and when composing the message on the Add Entry tab, to the right of the "Title" field at the top, set a future date.  If you're logged into the blog, you'll see the post on your blog, but visitors not logged in won't see the post until the date you assigned comes.
May 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM
Ben, I actually kind of thought that was how I would do it but I wasn't sure and didn't want to send out a bogus post trying to "test" my theory.  Thanks Ben!
May 6, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I have an update for you.  I created a new post, modified the date to be tonight at 23:59 and clicked save post.  I did see the post show up when I was logged in as the administrator.   However, when I opened up a different web browser with no login I could still see the post title but with no content showing.  Take a look at:

Is this a bug?
May 6, 2009 at 8:09 PM
I see the iMac post with no content.  It has a date of May 6, 2009 at 5:48 am.  I'm not sure what the server time is, but at this point, that looks like it is probably a timestamp in the past (not future).  So it should show up for everyone.

It's possible you've created two separate posts with the same title.  One post is the one I see with a 5:48 am timestamp.  And the other post is a future dated post.

I would first check the 'Server time offset' setting on the Settings tab in the control panel to determine what time the blog is running under.  If it says the the server time is 1:00 pm (for example) and your server time offset is 3 then the blog is running 3 hours from the server time -- so it would be 4:00 pm in the blog world.

After verifying that, try creating a post in the future.  It shouldn't show up if you're not logged in.
May 6, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Ben, you're the man!  I was confused by the time setting because it stated the correct time but I put -6 anyway because CST is -6.  I changed it to 0 (zero) because the server time is already CST and doesn't need an offset.  I then set the blog post time to 2 minutes in the future and it posted as I liked!

I think we got her fixed.  Thanks Ben!

I'll try it again on my next blog post to make sure and if I have problems I'll post on it.  Otherwise, problem solved.