BE 3.0 Upgrade Issues/Bugs/Features?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Jul 30, 2014 at 9:14 PM
I just upgraded to BE 3.0 and wanted to migrate to using sub blogs. Here are some things I ran into and wondered if anyone else has run into or has a better fix for.

Invalid Character in User Name when Creating Sub Blog
Creating a new blog in the admin page. I normally follow the pattern firstname period last name for usernames, so for me it would be jay.smith. When creating a sub blog I receive an error that the username contained invalid characters. Changing the username to JaySmith worked. Once created I was able to log on and create a jay.smith user and add it to the administrators group and then delete the JaySmith.

Should both of them follow the same rules?

Post added to Sub Blog don't show up until you create and delete a post
Ok, this one had me scratching my head for a while. I copied all of my posts xml files from the old blog into the new sub-blog. Author id was the same ( jay.smith) in the old and new. But they didn't show up on the aggregate blog, sub-blog, or admin content page. I then deleted the welcome message and they all showed up.

Is that by design? Very frustrating.

Other than those I didn't have many other issues. I did run into a few errors early on trying to create sub-blogs but turning on IIS and ASP.NET errors help me clear those up real fast.

If anyone knows if these are bugs or just the way they are please let me know.

Thanks,

Jay
Coordinator
Jul 31, 2014 at 1:56 AM
The sub-blog name is derived from user name when you create new blog, so characters invalid in the URL also invalid in user name. We probably could've remove them from blog name and leave in user name, but didn't see it as a huge inconvenience.

Post list is cached, so if you manually added posts they won't show up until some event forces cache to reload. Deleting or adding post over UI will do it.
Jul 31, 2014 at 2:51 AM
Thanks for the explanation. Is there a way to invalidate the posts cache other than deleting a post?

Again thanks,

Jay

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2014 at 2:55 AM
Sure, recycling IIS app pool or any change to web.config if you don't have access to IIS.