BlogEngine.NET 3.0.0.0 uploaded images in base 64 ?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jul 31, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Edited Jul 31, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Hi rtur n the team,

While going through the html code soruce i noticed the uploaded images are now being stored in base 64 encryption.

1.Will this new change not make the web pages heavier ? Especially if a blog post is using more than one image.

2.Break the javascript codes that works on the priciples of file extension ? (Like Yahoo media player -.mp3 , pinterest - .jpg,.png)

What advantages led the team to change to base 64..
Coordinator
Jul 31, 2014 at 3:20 PM
They not really stored in base 64. Summernote has built-in feature to save pictures as base 64, but you can use buttons under editor to insert image "normal" way. "Attach a file" will either insert image tag or link to the file, based on type. "File picker" will let you reuse uploaded images or files, also generating either image or link tag.
Sep 25, 2014 at 11:58 PM
The button in the toolbar should really be disabled by default (or the behavior should be modified). Most folks who are looking to embed an image would click there first. Unless somebody was viewing the source of the generated blog posts, they would have no clue they were sending down all of those extra bytes. Bye, bye browser caching as well.
Feb 25, 2015 at 8:04 PM
I have to agree, this is a bit disconcerting and it results in a very odd experience. If I upload the file via attach file, then I really cannot position the image where I want it to go. If I use the toolbar, it uploads the image as base 64 which really causes the editor to slow down when you have a number of images. Either way, editing the image, setting the position, etc gets very difficult. I find that I need to go in and out of source mode a LOT to get things to work right.