Move from XML to SQL completely

Topics: Business Logic Layer
May 11, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Feature request.

Alter the code/design such that there is no need to store dynamic data in the file system (images can be an exception, we can consider moving the image binary also to SQL later).

Even after using DbBlogProvider, DbMembershipProvider, DbRoleProvider blog still writes lots of information to xml

eg: extension and widget data, log files etc.

Coordinator
May 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM
Edited May 11, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Extension and widget data are all written to DB. Some custom plug-ins can violate this and still write to file system though. And there are few exceptions made by BlogEngine itself, those need to be addressed.

Coordinator
May 12, 2009 at 1:10 AM

The latest build of BE also now saves Blogroll data in the DB too ...

There's an issue in the tracker for this already.

Other than files and images, maybe the only remaining data stored in the App_Data folder is the Referrer data?  If you can think of somethine else, please post it here or in that issue.

May 12, 2009 at 11:26 PM

I've been working on the referrer data, actually. Very nearly done, just need to test the data access piece (i.e. the XML is working). I'll submit a patch once I squeeze some time out to wrap it up.

May 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I am now testing (deployed at my personal blog site) new version at @changeset: 27459.

May 13, 2009 at 11:27 PM

I've attached a patch to the above issue that adds referrer tracking to the blog provider. That should take care of Referrer data, now.