Database connection lost (GoDaddy hosting)

May 15, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Hi all,

I'm making my first stab at installing and theming this software and have hit a bit of a snag.  When I went to bed last night I could see the blog, although the layout was all sorts of screwy because I wasn't done meddling with the theme files.  When I woke up this morning, however, I was unable to load the page at all.

Cannot open database "mar0913308245010" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'mar0913308245010'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "mar0913308245010" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'mar0913308245010'.

Source Error:
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:
[SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open database "mar0913308245010" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'mar0913308245010'.]
 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +428
 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +65
 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +117
 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +122
 BlogEngine.Core.Providers.DbBlogProvider.LoadSettings() in DbBlogProvider.cs:1079
 BlogEngine.Core.BlogSettings.Load() in BlogSettings.cs:1640
 BlogEngine.Core.BlogSettings..ctor() in BlogSettings.cs:223
 BlogEngine.Core.BlogSettings.get_Instance() in BlogSettings.cs:250
 BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.ReferrerModule..cctor() in ReferrerModule.cs:81

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.ReferrerModule' threw an exception.]

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
 System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) +0
 System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache) +86
 System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache) +230
 System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) +67
 System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) +1051
 System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) +111
 System.Web.Configuration.Common.ModulesEntry.Create() +39
 System.Web.Configuration.HttpModulesSection.CreateModules() +164
 System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModules() +28
 System.Web.HttpApplication.InitInternal(HttpContext context, HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers) +729
 System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetNormalApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +298
 System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +107
 System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +289

I checked the connectionString in the web.config and the password and user in there are correct.  I also went into the control panel on GoDaddy and was able to connect to the MS SQL database without a problem using the same login and password.  Do I need to do something else to get this thing back online so I can finish trying to skin it?  Is there something I need to do to set it to recognize MS SQL instead of MySQL or something?  It worked ok when their system installed the thing, so something has changed overnight... I just don't know what.

May 16, 2009 at 1:11 PM

And this morning, magically, it's back up again.  Must have been GoDaddy's issue...