I seem to be having issues formatting posts

Topics: Controls, Themes
Sep 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Hello all,
I love BlogEngine.net so much that I just recently converted back to it from Wordpress. Even with the new and beautiful additions to version 3.0, I still seem to be having trouble with a simple task, or what should be simple, formatting posts. My latest post, which is my longest at the moment, has various sections to it, and my goal is to ensure that each section title is separated by headings. I know how to make headings with BlogEngine, even with the toolbar not labelled properly for screen reading software to interact with it (I'm a blind user, so I rely exclusively on what feedback I get from text-to-speech software.), but the issue seems to be when I select text, due to the fact that I can only use the arrows to navigate across the page, my selection gets removed, and my text that should be made into a heading, does not get the heading style added onto it, sending my heading level 2 into the middle of nowhere. How would you recommend a blind user format their posts? I tried using word and then copying the text with all of the headings and centered text from there, but the headings as I want them didn't carry over. I would like blind bloggers to make as much use out of BlogEngine.net as any sighted user could, and I am more than willing to assist in testing new accessibility features to assist blind users in fully independently writing their posts. The current issues I'm having now when it comes to accessibility with formatting is I'm unable to keep selected text in focus in order to format it, the formatting toolbar has buttons that are unlabelled with accessibility descriptions for screen readers to grab onto, and once one of the buttons is pressed to format text, whenever I attempt to do something with that text, I get thrown out of the edit field and I keep having to move my focus back to it, getting nowhere in the process. Any help on fixing/testing this issue would be great; I'm not migrating again, and I'm going to keep posting issues as they come up; BlogEngine should be made to be the perfect choice for blind individuals looking for a fantastic blogging platform. Thanks for any assistance; much appreciated!
Sep 8, 2014 at 12:45 AM
There is going to be 3.1 update next weekend, with TinyMCE 4.1 which I hope is more standards supported. You can set BE to use it in web.config instead of summernote which is default editor.
Sep 8, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Okay awesome. What about TinyMCE? Does that work in existing BlogEngine installations? Thanks.

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:03 AM
Yes it works in current 3.0, but requires to set debug="true" in compilation tag in web.config to disable script compression or TinyMCE plugins won't work. In 3.1 it is fixed and you'd need only set DefaultEditor value to "~/editors/tinymce/editor.cshtml" to set it as default. Also TinyMCE 4.1 is really looks like big step forward.
Sep 8, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Okay thanks. I’ll set the debug tag for the moment until next weekend; I’ve got a bunch of posts to do this week, and I want them to look good.