Cannot log into blog engine - Help!

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
May 18, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Hi all,

I am a newbie to the blog engine and i am struggling to log in as the administrator. I am involved in a migration process so we have inherited all the blog engine source and configurations. We have a users.xml file and a be_1_Users table, but  i am not entirely sure whether the blog engine is configured to be looking into this files. Any ideas?

As a last resort, does anyone know how to reset the admin password back to default or explain how the authentication process works so we can investigate our problem?

many thanks,

May 18, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Look in the web.config file in the root of the blog.  There's a blogProvider element in there that'll look something like:

<blogProvider defaultProvider="XmlBlogProvider">

If the defaultProvider you have is XmlBlogProvider, then the blog is looking at the users.xml file in the App_Data folder.  If the defaultProvider is DbBlogProvider, then the blog would normally be looking at the be_Users table in the DB.  If you have a be_1_Users table, and not a be_Users table, then it's probably looking at that.

If you're using the XmlBlogProvider, you can reset the password by clearing out the value in the Password tag.

If you're using the DbBlogProvider, you can reset the password by clearing out the value in the Password column

UPDATE be_1_Users SET Password = ''

** After resetting the password, you'll want to re-start the blog in case the old password is cached in memory.  You can re-start the blog by making any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc).

After restarting the blog, you should be able to log in using the default password, "admin".