Wanting to ceate Blogs in a school setting.

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls
Sep 10, 2014 at 2:58 AM
Edited Sep 10, 2014 at 12:58 PM
2 Creative Writing teachers at my high school want to set up blogs for their students to share their work. I set up Blogengine 3.0 for them. They are happy with the theme and the setup. This is the dilemma.

Each teacher would like to set up a blog for each of their class periods. They would limit the user list to the 30-35 students they have in a particular period show up on the class blog. As it is now both teachers see all the nearly 400 students.

Is there some way to do this with one blogengine installation and creating many blogs from it and only show the users that are registered in a particular blog. Or do I need to install a complete install of blogengine for each class for each teacher?

I use MSSQL for data and user login. It's not difficult to create more databases for more installed applications if that's what's necessary but to create a blog application for each class and a db for each installation starts to become resource-expensive.

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:14 AM
Hi Bob,

So what you are really looking for then is a Sub blog within blogs?

School <-- Root Application Main Blog

SubBlog <-- Teacher

Blog of SubBlog <-- Class Period

BE "as-is" You can have

School <--- Main Website (Teachers are Admin or have rights to create sub blogs)

SubBlog <--- Class Period (Teacher is Admin and Students are users for each class period)

In this fashion each teacher would have to create a subblog from the main website "blog".

So if there are 7 Periods then each teacher would be Admin to 7 Blogs.

For the Main website you got to make sure that the check box for

"Is For Site Aggregation"

Screenshot: http://awesomescreenshot.com/0103gt0ib2

Is unchecked.

Otherwise the Main Website "Blog" is going to display all Posts and etc from all Blogs with in BE.

So you will see 400 Users Posts :)

Hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Brian Davis
Sep 12, 2014 at 3:13 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm doing this for the teachers in addition to my teaching duties for almost 200 students. I'll probably get back to this on the weekend. If I run into a bump, I'll post it here. Thanks for helping me get through this. The teachers will surely appreciate it and hopefully the students will become better writers.